Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

FWD 1/4 milers?

Old 05-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daimo has disabled reputation
Default FWD 1/4 milers?

Just something we've just been discussing (i posted that 9.55 @ 163mph vid from the pictures forum) on one of the UK forums i use....

In the UK, drag racing isn't a big thing at all. Most people frown upon cars that are road legal (not sure how your road legal/non legal stuff goes over there) yet when the come to a 1/4 mile they use slicks or cut slicks.... Most people prefer to have more of a "track orientated" car (i.e race track). Its only the days where you can just run your car up the strip that people go to, there isn't any official competitions.

It seems to get a 1/4 mile time, you should be running road legal tyres, on a road legal car.

If you want a fast 1/4 mile car, then you may as well do it properly, non road legal, slicks, properly setup suspension etc..... (mind you, many people still think Nitrous is cheating here as its not constent power (as in when the bottle runs out, you can't use it) but some others do use it and swear by it).

So, I was wondering... What kind of times do you lot seem to get running a fully legal and normal tyre'd cars over there. What engine are you running (just the engine CC, NA or Turbo'd (or SC'd etc)). What is considered a "respectable" time.....

Over here, 14's is ok, 13's is the time to aim for, and 12's is considered very quick (on specs above).....

Just wondered really.......
Old 05-05-2006, 07:17 AM
you suck, i know it

(F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-)
Default Re: FWD 1/4 milers?

i pulled a 12.5
but that was on slicks
not bad for a full interior four door street car
Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

See thats the thing, over here you woud be slated for having a full interior, but using slicks, because you can't use them on the road, therefore it isn't a true comparison of what your car can do...

Im not saying thats my opinion, but that of the majority here..
Old 05-05-2006, 07:32 AM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

well when i had my integra...i ran a 13.50. As far as the standards for 1/4 Times for honda performance cars.. a lot of people aim for 13's or cant get any better than 13s...depends on how your setup is done..what path you chose (turbo,n/a)

i chose a turbo..because theres no other way to make insane power,torque,and run a really low time,without one.

on this site,its real hard to have a "Respectable" honda,if it doesnt have a lip kit,Carbon fiber everywhere,"Real Volk rims" and runs a low 12,or high 11.

but as far as speed...id say anywhere in the 12's is pretty respectable seeing as most hondas run 15's and 16's out the factory.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Captain Deeeez Nutzz

b16 snatch has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BoostLag
on this site,its real hard to have a "Respectable" honda,if it doesnt have a lip kit,Carbon fiber everywhere,"Real Volk rims" and runs a low 12,or high 11.
i really believe the whole carbon fiber/body kit thing is going the way of the dinosaurs unless there is a functional purpose to it.

having a honda attracts enough attention as it is. sleeper is where it's at. and by sleeper i don't mean beater.

nothing wrong with a 13 sec honda either.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

We've got a couple of people interested in drag, heres one guy running a 218bhp 2.0 16v NA engine on throttle bodies, forged pistons 289bhp On gas....

He's on the standard gearbox (or tranny as you call them). Recently bust the bottom end (which was standard), in which case he rebuilds them and tries again.... He's running road tyres, on a fully stripped car..

"12.16 @ 117mph engine is now ok after burning out yet another valve 2 weeks after we fixed it so thats the good news but the bad news is the gearbox went bang at pod so we towed it home AGAIN but at least we had a tow rope this time"

http://www.brayspeed.co.uk/assets/Co...vs%20Mazda.wmv

Thats one of the older runs at the start of the year... This car is fully road legal as i say... NO carbon fibre, no lightweight panels, just a tuned engine and a small shot of nitrous... And a lot of practice...

But other than that, theres only the "tuning companies" that do drag strip..

95% of people just do it for a bit of fun (most of our main roads now have survailance cameras, instant reg plate recognition software etc) so its becomming harder and harder to "play" on the roads...

tbh, i think drag racing will get bigger. WE had Drifting become big a few years ago, now its modified road cars tuned and setup for track racing this year (new event)....

I feel drag racing will become bigger as well. We only have a few "official" drag strips, Santa Pod being by far our best (and the only place in teh UK to get real accurate times)..

Last edited by Daimo; 05-05-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:09 AM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

there is a guy in our club that runs an exhaust only car (everything else is paper filter stock) on street tires and a 100 dry shot of nitrous. i think his fastest run was 11.7ish @ 117

it's a 2000 chevrolet camaro SS.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Daimo
We've got a couple of people interested in drag, heres one guy running a 218bhp 2.0 16v NA engine on throttle bodies, forged pistons 289bhp On gas....

He's on the standard gearbox (or tranny as you call them). Recently bust the bottom end (which was standard), in which case he rebuilds them and tries again.... He's running road tyres, on a fully stripped car..

"12.16 @ 117mph engine is now ok after burning out yet another valve 2 weeks after we fixed it so thats the good news but the bad news is the gearbox went bang at pod so we towed it home AGAIN but at least we had a tow rope this time"

http://www.brayspeed.co.uk/assets/Co...vs%20Mazda.wmv

Thats one of the older runs at the start of the year... This car is fully road legal as i say... NO carbon fibre, no lightweight panels, just a tuned engine and a small shot of nitrous... And a lot of practice...

But other than that, theres only the "tuning companies" that do drag strip..

95% of people just do it for a bit of fun (most of our main roads now have survailance cameras, instant reg plate recognition software etc) so its becomming harder and harder to "play" on the roads...

tbh, i think drag racing will get bigger. WE had Drifting become big a few years ago, now its modified road cars tuned and setup for track racing this year (new event)....

I feel drag racing will become bigger as well. We only have a few "official" drag strips, Santa Pod being by far our best (and the only place in teh UK to get real accurate times)..

see,im not a big fan of N/A 4 cylinder motors..i think its a waste of time,seeing as there is no displacement to start with...and no significant gain in horsepower (or torque especially) when you have 11.5:1 and 12.5:1 compression engines.

i will always prefer a turbo over N/A,but thats just me.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Patron

Whistler Whistler Whistler Whistler Whistler Whistler Whistler Whistler Whistler

American V8s. Price for hp is hard to beat. Yes porsche makes a 500 v6. But take into account F-bodies and mustangs can be had for way less than 10k(my 98 bird was 6500). Fox bodies and LS1s are pretty ez to make run 12s and 11s on street tires. Specially if the f-body is a auto. Giggle juice is not cheating. Run what you brung is the american motto. And I hate to admit it but the best domestic fwd power for money car we have are the srt4s. But they have been discontinued.

Last edited by Whistler; 05-05-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

How popular is the Cosworth over there, Daimo? I would think that would be a very popular blueprint for a "tuner"...at least from what I know of the car.

Quick Reply: FWD 1/4 milers?