Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Formula Drift...

Old 05-14-2005, 07:10 PM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Formula Drift...

I guess I'm a little late on the trend... I guess I was in boot camp when the whole drift thing exploded (not that I'm any stranger to it, I remember being ridiculed on these very boards because I was into drifting oh so not that long ago...), but I finally caught my first event on television tonight- and I'm not sure what I think of it. For one, Rhys Millen. This guy is one driving motherfucker, he's all over every type of racing and I'm not surprised he's fucking it up in drifting, but that brings me to another point- it really seems like these runs are over before they even begin. The obvious advantage goes to the cars that put out the biggest billowing clouds of smoke, and it seems like oftentimes the whole speed and angle thing gets kind of thrown out the window when the crowd is expecting a certain person to win. I guess that's supposed to be part of its appeal, I mean there's no real ABSOLUTE DECIDING FACTOR (like, say, a finish line) so it's all up to perception, but to me it seemed like the 'judges' were just going off who they thought SHOULD win, and had no real concrete way of 'judging' anything. Kind of like the bikini contest of motorsports.

But anyway (like a bikini contest) it was fun as hell to watch, and I'm sure even more fun to participate so I'm not hating. So now I'm curious as to the general consensus of the very broad opinion base that is DragVA (in other words, what are your guys' opinions?)
Old 05-14-2005, 08:06 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift
Default Re: Formula Drift...

Ive only seen one episode and it was very educating to the new drifter...showed each different type of drift, how to perform it, and what it looked like. But oc course what ultimately lead me to watching it was seeing the s13 on tv kicking up some smoke
Old 05-14-2005, 08:16 PM
I Sell Tires

Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel

i wish they actually did touge racing and showed it on tv. its awesome to watch on the BMIs
Old 05-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

slipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the New Jersey event.Definitely a bad ass experience getting to meet all the drivers.Would definitely go again if it comes to NJ again or around here.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:51 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by slipknot
I was at the New Jersey event.Definitely a bad ass experience getting to meet all the drivers.Would definitely go again if it comes to NJ again or around here.
that's the one that was on g4 last night. i was pretty impressed by Robbie Nishida and his "sil-camino", even though he fucked up in the semis.

i just think that Rhys Millen is going to be unstoppable because he's already established himself in other types of racing and his pontiac-backed gto doesn't even have to drift, he just lights the tires up and drives around the track and he'll win- and it's not that hard to do with a torquey v8 purpose-built to spin tires.

that rs-r s2000 that took second was nice too. most of the japanese drivers fucked up in the early running, that wasn't what i expected.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:04 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

That RSR S2000 had abetter run the Rhys. The only reason he fucked up at all was because he basically had to stop to avoid running into Rhys' big slow moving non-drifting ass. Rhys is getting better but he's not that good. He's got big money coming into the events though so he'll win when he shouldn't. The best driver on the circuit right now is that guy n the S2000. That car shouldn't be able to drift at all and he does it better than all the other cars.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

slipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond reputeslipknot has a reputation beyond repute

Rhys is an awesome driver.G4 didnt even show half of the footage.Alex is definitely the man also.I have most of the whole event on video.Also Rhys drove the GTO last year giving him the slight advantage over other drivers with a new car this year.I wish G4 wouldve showed the guy who was drifting an El Camino.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Kicking Ass

Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T

Originally Posted by Flite
That RSR S2000 had abetter run the Rhys. The only reason he fucked up at all was because he basically had to stop to avoid running into Rhys' big slow moving non-drifting ass. Rhys is getting better but he's not that good. He's got big money coming into the events though so he'll win when he shouldn't. The best driver on the circuit right now is that guy n the S2000. That car shouldn't be able to drift at all and he does it better than all the other cars.
They did some special stuff that S2000. And I wouldn't say it shouldn't drift at all. It's just harder.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:48 AM
WIKAP WIKAP PLBTTTTT

eeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blackout
to me it seemed like the 'judges' were just going off who they thought SHOULD win, and had no real concrete way of 'judging' anything. Kind of like the bikini contest of motorsports.

But anyway (like a bikini contest) it was fun as hell to watch, and I'm sure even more fun to participate so I'm not hating.
I've heard critics compare drifting to figure skating but, I like the bikini contest analogy

It's pretty fun to watch and more fun to try. I could do without the judging and just make it a demo but, I guess the "competition" aspect gives drifting more credibility.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:19 AM
standalonecomplex

JSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these partsJSL1CE is infamous around these parts

The thing is, Formula D has its ups and downs, but at least now theres a drifting show on tv, so I really cant complain.

Quick Reply: Formula Drift...