VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Ford tops quality survey... (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/ford-tops-quality-survey-302322/)

Cobra4B 07-22-2009 06:16 AM

Ford tops quality survey...

Hmm. Seems like the boys in Dearborn are making some tangible improvements in quality. Hopefully public perception will follow.

Ford tops in quality survey
Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News
Ford Motor Co.'s newest automobiles had fewer problems than any other manufacturer -- including Toyota Motor Corp. -- according to a new survey of initial quality, details of which were obtained by The Detroit News.

It was the first time ever that the Dearborn automaker beat its arch-rival in the survey, which was conducted for Ford by the RDA Group of Bloomfield Hills. The study also put Ford in a dead heat with Toyota in customer satisfaction.

"We've been tied with Toyota before, but it sure feels better to be on the top!" wrote Bennie Fowler, Ford's global head of quality, in a memo to employees Friday, a copy of which was obtained by The News. "We can all be pleased with the progress we have made in quality, even as we face external and internal challenges in a tumultuous climate. Our progress has come as the result of our union partnerships in the U.S., Canada and Mexico, along with the work of dedicated teams in manufacturing, product development, purchasing, marketing, sales, service, legal, IT and others who follow disciplined, standardized processes."

RDA's research is used by a number of automakers, both foreign and domestic, and has historically tracked closely with other independent research by firms such as J.D. Power and Associates. Its second quarter study showed new Ford, Mercury and Lincoln cars and trucks had 1,185 issues per 1,000 vehicles. Toyota had 1,215 problems, while Honda Motor Co. had 1,291.
Both Toyota and Ford had an 80 percent positive customer satisfaction rating, Fowler said.

The results come a year after he vowed publicly to seize Toyota's crown as the quality leader among full-line manufacturers in the United States. But Ford has found that its quality gains have still not convinced all consumers that its products are on par with those from its Japanese competitors.

Fowler said more work is needed, particularly on the luxury brand, which faces even tougher competition.

"There is more work to be done," he said." We want nothing less than to be the highest-quality automotive manufacturer year over year!"

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...quality-survey

Iceman05 07-22-2009 06:34 AM

Re: Ford tops quality survey...

....interesting... now what about GM LOL

phyber 07-22-2009 06:35 AM

Obamadidit

ShawnD 07-22-2009 06:54 AM

This won't help public perception. Takes more than one thing to recover years of shitty vehicles lol for instance, if Obama cured the economy tomorrow you'd still hate him :)

00civichatch 07-22-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ShawnD (Post 5470081)
This won't help public perception. Takes more than one thing to recover years of shitty vehicles lol for instance, if Obama cured the economy tomorrow you'd still hate him :)

I agree..

Just because the initial quality is above the Jap cars does not mean that overall quality even comes close. People are not dumb. All you have to do is look at used car prices. Jap cars 5 years older go for the same price and people buy them because they know they will still be of higher quality and reliability.

Niburu 07-22-2009 08:08 AM

or it goes to show how far Toyota has fallen in their quality

The Wok 07-22-2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Niburu (Post 5470351)
or it goes to show how far Toyota has fallen in their quality

And Honda? I'd go with it showing Ford has made strides.

The real test of those cars is to check on them again in five years, though.

CarsRFun 07-22-2009 08:55 AM

My dads new Ford Truck is awesome rides so nice... has everything in it... I want a truck now!

ShawnD 07-22-2009 09:00 AM

They've always made good trucks though from what I understand.

Harold_Fastwake 07-22-2009 09:09 AM

Toyota quality has been falling off. My 1996 celica is rock solid but my mothers 2006 Rav4 has been completely the opposite. They are minor issues but things that shouldnt happen.