Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Flywheel weight

Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Flywheel weight

What is the down fall of having too light of a flywheel? I am thinking about getting a carbon kevlar clutch kit with a 8lb flywheel on my turbo dseries.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate
Default Re: Flywheel weight

It will take you 10 minutes to get used to it. A little harder to get out of 1st, just give it more gas.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Less stored energy for starting from a stop, and that's just an annoyance that you'll get used to. Also, less thermal mass to dissipate heat from the clutch friction. Usually isn't a problem.
There really aren't any downsides, it's just pure fun..
Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

Cool Re: Flywheel weight

Ok because i had metioned this on turbod16.com and they said not to go any lower than 11lbs.

Just wanted to double check with people i know better.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 PM
MAGICAL FRIENDSHIP

streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp

I had to play with the idle on my DSM because the revs would drop too fast and the motor would want to shut off. Havent had a problem since I tweaked with it but it still wants to drop really fast and almost stall if you push the clutch in really fast without giving it any gas.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It just takes some work to get going from a stop. I had a 9lb (or was it 10?) in my B16 del sol and loved it. I'm not sure why 11 pounds is recommended, could be dissipating clutch heat from the extra power from the turbo. Get something entirely steel, on an aluminum flywheel I'm always wary of the thermal interface between the steel friction face and the aluminum body. There's been a big problem in the past with transferring heat from one metal to another across that mating area.

Originally Posted by streetlamp
I had to play with the idle on my DSM because the revs would drop too fast and the motor would want to shut off. Havent had a problem since I tweaked with it but it still wants to drop really fast and almost stall if you push the clutch in really fast without giving it any gas.
Yeah, I had the same problem on my del sol. That can be changed a bit with tuning. I'd be curious to know if Hondata or someone has any way to change the idle state parameters.. It's unfortunate that the stock ECU is so slow to transition to the idle state, but I understand why they do that. I won't bore you with that though.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-11-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

Cool Re: Flywheel weight

Ok now on to the clutch.

I was thinking about A "Stage 2" carbon-kevlar clutch but saw it was only rated up to 235 crank hp and 215 ft lbs.

Then i saw this one.............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...164560919&rd=1

What do you think of this one as far as daily driving?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

gixxerman11 has disabled reputation

well there is one down fall som light weight fly wheels arnt that tough
Old 09-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Mermaider

MAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these partsMAsshole is infamous around these parts

I've had one in the Miata for almost a year now. I have had to problems whatsoever. It revs better, and just like everyone else says, 1st gear can be tricky. You get used to it real quick.