Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Flooded 99 Civic---totaled by INS.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QUIK4A4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flooded 99 Civic---totaled by INS.

Ok here is the scoop..... My car took water on the inside of the car(about3-4 inches. I ripped carpet out and sucked water out when I got home. My car ran for a good 6 miles before it died on me after I got out of water. I had a cold air with the bypass on it(not sure how much that helped) I'm not worried about the engine because I have a 2000 GSR fully built up I can put in now. So should I buy the car back from the insurance co? Or will I run into rust problems later on? I need two new seat, new back(bottom part of seat) and probably ECU.

Now for all the people that will say I should have been smart enough not to try to go through the water. Well I did not I was pushed into by another car that did not stop, so I had no choice. Please any info and help on buying back car, or building my civic back up pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 AM
Jesus bilt my hotrod

Focal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Flooded 99 Civic---totaled by INS.

That's touchy, dunno what kinda of electronics you may have fried. Could be one of those things you get real lucky on or really screwed on. How much is buyback compaired to buying another shell?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:22 AM

Not sure on buy back amount yet?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:26 AM
Virginia Beach 757

_crs has disabled reputation

What yr civic is it? and how much is the buy back? If its like <$500 do it..take everything out of the car inside out. Repaint everything cage it, race it!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 11:15 AM

1999, any other thoughts on this situation?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You shouldn't have to worry about rust much if everything was dried out in a timely manner. As long as there isn't anything trapping water against bare metal, you should be fine. As for the wiring, electronics, etc, that's possibly a different story. The interior wiring will be the problem if there is one, the engine bay wiring should be ok if the car is that young and all of the environmental seals on the connectors are intact. The interior connectors don't have seals usually. Honestly, if it was just 3 or 4 inches inside, there is very little wiring down at that level to worry about.

Make sure you check the CV joints, tranny, etc., if you've got water intrusion there you're going to have an eventual failure.
Was it saltwater or freshwater?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Woah,was that Vtec?

TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM TYPE JDM

Buy it back if its for a good deal. I work at the Honda dealer and see this type of problem all the time. Was it fresh water or salt water? That makes a difference in wires and electronics corroding. If fresh water then your good just make sure everything is dried underneath the carpet. We usally replace the joot material underneath the carpet. Inpsect all connectors & pins in the lower section where the water reached.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:42 PM

fresh rain water
Old 12-25-2007, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

jtwizzle has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by QUIK4A4
Ok here is the scoop..... My car took water on the inside of the car(about3-4 inches. I ripped carpet out and sucked water out when I got home. My car ran for a good 6 miles before it died on me after I got out of water. I had a cold air with the bypass on it(not sure how much that helped) I'm not worried about the engine because I have a 2000 GSR fully built up I can put in now. So should I buy the car back from the insurance co? Or will I run into rust problems later on? I need two new seat, new back(bottom part of seat) and probably ECU.

Now for all the people that will say I should have been smart enough not to try to go through the water. Well I did not I was pushed into by another car that did not stop, so I had no choice. Please any info and help on buying back car, or building my civic back up pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.
man once it get the electronical shit wet its done i promise
Old 12-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

quik484 is the car that got messed up the one with a cali plate with your name as its number? could of sworn I saw a civic with that plate out by ches square...it would suck if its the same car I thought I saw

Quick Reply: Flooded 99 Civic---totaled by INS.