Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

First trip to the track...

Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Fuck Bitches, Get $$

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud of
Default First trip to the track...

So a few of my friends and I are looking to go out after school ends to a track for a day, possibly two if there is a local hotel..

Looking or a few suggestions or words of wisdom concerning my first track event (this is straight drag racing, not time attacks/road courses/etc.). We are looking to find out which car of our group is faster (1/4 mile) as most of our cars were built mainly for speed and not for twisties.

1) Which track would you recommend? We're located in Richmond but we're okay with a decent drive, our cars are actually reliable and can make a decent drive for a better time lol.

2) Any tips on launching? Easier in Auto vs. Manual? Advantages vs. Disadv.?

3) Safety tips other than routine maintenance that should be checked before hand? i.e. tires, pressure, etc.

4) Other tips? Personal experiences with management, people there, etc?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
wharlgarbl

notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline
Default Re: First trip to the track...

Originally Posted by rydnlow1120
So a few of my friends and I are looking to go out after school ends to a track for a day, possibly two if there is a local hotel..

Looking or a few suggestions or words of wisdom concerning my first track event (this is straight drag racing, not time attacks/road courses/etc.). We are looking to find out which car of our group is faster (1/4 mile) as most of our cars were built mainly for speed and not for twisties.

1) Which track would you recommend? We're located in Richmond but we're okay with a decent drive, our cars are actually reliable and can make a decent drive for a better time lol.

3) Safety tips other than routine maintenance that should be checked before hand? i.e. tires, pressure, etc.

Standard safety/maint. is fine. I haven't figured out launching yet.. I spin and spin and spin... lower tire pressure. I went to MIR and liked it.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Fuck Bitches, Get $$

rydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud of

We were thinking MIR. We just went this bullshit off the streets...I'm tired of almost getting killed by some retards racing down broad or midlothian.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
DEAD OR ALIVE

azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th

i would say just go to richmond dragway next street night. theres no since in driving out of your way. and it depends on the type of car and the mods to tell who has the advantage between a automatic or stick.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Function > Form

RobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to all

1) Richmond is the obvious choice. I see no sense in driving out to VMP/MIR, especially for your first time.

Practice makes perfect.

Check the usual, oil,coolant,tire pressure,enough fuel, make sure every is in working order/battery tied down. Richmond is pretty lenient for tech.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Cheese Nip has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rydnlow1120

2. If you are running street tires then your probably better off babying it out of the hole then getting into it. (Of course this depends on how much power/torque you are making).

3. If you are planning on breaking 13.9 then you'll need a helmet. With tire pressure, just play with it until it feels right to you.

4. If you can remove it from your car then do it. Not only to keep shit from rolling around but it makes you weigh less.

Good luck. What are you and your friends running?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 AM
Fuck Bitches, Get $$

Thanks for the advice! I'm running a 98 WS6 trans am w/ ls1 and minor mods...IF i end up going...not sure since i've babied this car since i've gotten it, and really don't wanna run it hard lol. it feels too nice. the car is said to put out around 325ish...i havent dyno'd it or anything but thats based on previous owners knowledge.

friend #1) sohc d16 97 coupe at 16 lbs (possibly 15...i cant remember...)- roughly 270hp on butt dyno
friend #2) subaru legacy, '05 @ 21lbs, minor mods (frontmount, new tune), no idea on hp

couple other cars may be going but im not sure. I haven't asked everyone when they are free, etc.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 AM
RAMNATION

deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy deadmemoryy

For sure go out to Richmond next friday. I was there last Friday for the first time and had a blast. After my first run which sucked I was able to shave over a second by just learning how to launch and etc. All I did was check my fluids and lowered my tire pressure at the track. I left my subs and all my other shit in the car, bad idea. I'd remove anything you don't need. Will be doing that next week, haha.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

mysteryguest is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to the very basics of drag racing. http://nhra.com/basics/basics.html
No offense intended if you already know all of that information. Just trying to help. Nothing is worse than being the guy who stages his car with the rear wheels on his first trip to the drag strip because he was too embarrassed to ask or just didn't pay attention to the cars ahead of him.

Also, to add to the others suggestions. Drive around the water box if possible. Otherwise, you will be dragging water onto the track only hurting your run and the guy next in line behind you. Once around the water box, do a quick "dry hop", or practice launch without going past the staging beams. This should give you a little bit of an idea of how your car will react. You should have time, the guy in the other lane is probably doing an unnecessary John Force style burnout in his 14 second, street-tire shod car.

Lastly, I cannot speak for the tech at Richmond, but most tracks look for obvious stuff. Holes in the firewall, no coolant overflow, driveshaft safety loop, (if applicable), no battery hold down, etc. A basically stock vehicle will be fine.

Good luck and have fun.