Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Family of four die in 120 mph crash from stuck throttle - hear about this?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Family of four die in 120 mph crash from stuck throttle - hear about this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/...a_floor_mats_2

911 recording: http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...l-fatal-crash/

Have you heard about this? Some people were in an '09 Lexus ES 350 when something caused the accelerator to stick (prime suspect is the floor mat). They accelerated to 120, hit another car in an intersection, crashed and died.

Now here's what I don't understand. The passenger in the car was a 19-year-veteran CHP officer, who had the presence of mind to call 911 while the car was accelerating out of control and explain the situation before the crash.

If he had the time and the self-control to do that, why didn't he shift the car into neutral? If that didn't work, why didn't he shift (or tell the driver to shift) into low gear? Failing that, why didn't somebody shift into reverse and try to sh** the transmission out all over the highway?

And what about the E-brake?

Now Toyota is recalling millions of cars to make sure the floor mats fit properly (apparently, the one in the ES 350 wasn't an ES 350 mat).

In the phone call, the CHP officer said the brakes weren't working. And apparently an ES 350 has that nifty push-button starter that you'd have to hold down for 3 seconds to shut down the engine while in motion.

But this story says the gas pedal got stuck under the floor mat, AND the brakes quit working, AND the e-brake wasn't an option(?), AND the transmission was stuck in drive(?)?

Something just doesn't smell right here.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Registered member

OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA OSSHWA
Default Re: Family of four die in 120 mph crash from stuck throttle - hear about this?

Hm, very fishy indeed.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
1/2 man 1/2 amazing

specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154
Default Re: Family of four die in 120 mph crash from stuck throttle - hear about this?

the audio is chilling but why would you call 911 when there were so many options as listed above.

i would have definitely shoved the auto tranny into reverse. that would have stopped them for sure.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Heard a coworker talking about the floor mat recall but didn't get any details until I read this. I'm thinking perfect storm, as in stuck throttle + passengers in panic + other cars on the road.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
#Trendy

Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio

Ya Im guessing there was just to much going on ( panic ) and what not for them to think rationally about what could stop the vehicle. Not like you get into a car assuming something like this would happen.

Sucks that it could have been something so simple as a floormat wedged on the accelerator.

R.I.P
Old 09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Still... a veteran cop should be able to handle a panic situation. He had enough presence of mind to dial 911.

First hit brakes, 2nd shove into neutral or park or reverse, 3rd trun it off ( allthough I admit I wouldn't know to press it for 3 seconds... I'd be stabbing at it). Third... use a guardrail if possible. Lastly.... force the car into a barrel roll and hope I live.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM
#Trendy

You are right. If you have the presence of mind to dial 911 ( not like they can do much for a car speeding down the highway uncontrolled )

You should be able to asses the situation a lot better than they did in my opinion.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM
notched

Colt45 will become famous soon enough

I thought toyotas always put the hook on the carpet to keep the floor mat in place.

Some times the accelerator gets stuck on the mat on my del sol, I usually turn off the key or pull the floor mat back when it happens.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

And people ask me why I don't like push button starters.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 AM
#Trendy

Originally Posted by Colt45
I thought toyotas always put the hook on the carpet to keep the floor mat in place.

Some times the accelerator gets stuck on the mat on my del sol, I usually turn off the key or pull the floor mat back when it happens.
But so many people these days put multiple mats in the car, or ones that dont properly fit. Its a hazard for sure, I see it all the time at work. 2-3 maybe even more mats on the driver side... Why? No clue. People just arent to bright

Quick Reply: Family of four die in 120 mph crash from stuck throttle - hear about this?