Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

evo lX or evo X?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheezy has disabled reputation
Cool evo lX or evo X?

im looking to buy a evo and im willing to spend around 25k. ive narrowed down to either a 06 MR or a 08 GSR... just looking for some opinions on which is a better choice. ive heard nothing bad on the MR but ive heard the stock evo x clutch can only stand 3 launches? lmk
Old 07-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong
Default Re: evo lX or evo X?

I hear complaints about the MR 6 speed not being so tough as the 5 speed in the GSR's of the IX.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:35 PM

nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo

Originally Posted by Sun Wukong
I hear complaints about the MR 6 speed not being so tough as the 5 speed in the GSR's of the IX.
this.

the stock transmission in the MR is complete shit. People will actually swap the regular 5 speed from the GSR version into the MR. Both transmissions are shit box's but the GSR isn't nearly as bad.

and you will obviously be able to launch more than 3 times, if you aren't a retard about it.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM
シビックタイプR

boostorbust has disabled reputation

make sure you buy a twin disc before you buy the evo cause the stock clutch in the ix is total shit
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by wheezy
im looking to buy a evo and im willing to spend around 25k. ive narrowed down to either a 06 MR or a 08 GSR... just looking for some opinions on which is a better choice. ive heard nothing bad on the MR but ive heard the stock evo x clutch can only stand 3 launches? lmk

Fucking don't.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:44 PM

bennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to allbennycnu11 is a name known to all

I still like the IX MR a little better then the X, but the Xs are growing on me. Whether it is a IX or a X the stock clutch will not be able to take a lot. Like it has been said already the MR tranny (6-speed) is weaker then the 5-speed. The 6-speed holds less tranny fluid, so it is easier to overheat. Also, like it has already been said you are better off going to evom to try and get these answers.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall

honest answer? get a IX...there are tried and true formulas for any level of horsepower you want. the tranny is a weakpoint, stock clutch sucks for the most part (my '03 had over 120K on it without a replacement so it is what you make of it)

if you are shooting for <450 awhp then it is pretty cheap
Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 PM

Jspec is a name known to allJspec is a name known to allJspec is a name known to allJspec is a name known to allJspec is a name known to allJspec is a name known to allJspec is a name known to all

go for the IX. i currently own a VIII which pretty much the same thing save for the mivec and other lil minor things. stock weak points are clutch for sure and the fuel pump. dont get a twin disc clutch its expensive for one and 2 they are hard on your gearbox so unless plan on getting shep trans just get something simple. i have a act street disc(hdss) and i have no issues have launched a few times. just off simple bolt ons power increase is substantial. if you havent considered looking at VIIIs you should. i got a steal on mine im the 2nd owner 1st owner was an older woman car was kept in great shape and not beat on. have every receipt for maintenance and it was all done at the dealer. got it for 11k bone stock
Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 AM
BACK IN A G8

2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr

talk to mikey at spec-ops on the evo board....if your serious about getting one. PM me and i can give you his number.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:12 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

It's a legit question. Give legit feedback or go somewhere else.

As for the OP, for $25k, why not look for an STi? Is there a reason you want an Evo? If you're a DSM guy and you must get an Evo, look for as close to a stock IX as you can find. Good luck.

Quick Reply: evo lX or evo X?