Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Emissions: older motor in newer car

Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Jub
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jub has disabled reputation
Default Emissions: older motor in newer car

I thought this would be on here somewhere. I searched for a while but found nothing. I have a 94 b18c1 lying around and am looking for a shell. I found a mint 01 GSR shell but am worried about emissions. In VA with the proper wiring, can an 01 GSR pass emissions with a 94 motor? I have read that the engine must be of the same age or newer. If it can, do I need anything besides the ecu conversion harness and dizzy conversion harness? Does anyone know if it could pass in MD?

Another thing I have been wondering about is my 5 lug. Can type-r brakes work with the ABS system from the 01 GSR or do they run without ABS? That being said, would I fail emissions for it?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Shortbus never came.

HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway
Default Re: Emissions: older motor in newer car

I have never heard of emissions failing for brakes...
Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Emissions: older motor in newer car

Originally Posted by Jub
I thought this would be on here somewhere. I searched for a while but found nothing. I have a 94 b18c1 lying around and am looking for a shell. I found a mint 01 GSR shell but am worried about emissions. In VA with the proper wiring, can an 01 GSR pass emissions with a 94 motor? I have read that the engine must be of the same age or newer. If it can, do I need anything besides the ecu conversion harness and dizzy conversion harness? Does anyone know if it could pass in MD?

Another thing I have been wondering about is my 5 lug. Can type-r brakes work with the ABS system from the 01 GSR or do they run without ABS? That being said, would I fail emissions for it?

Thanks.
For safety inspection, as long as it is just the amber ABS light illuminated, the car will pass. If the red Brake system light is on, then no, it will not.

For emissions, if you can get that engine to run on the OBDII PCM that is in the car, then yes, it will pass. Basically they will do an OBDII test to see if there are codes, and do a curb idle emissions test.