VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   DUI questions (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/dui-questions-53258/)

honey 05-14-2004 08:07 AM

DUI questions

somone i know just recently got arrested for a dui. im in no way approving for what they did, i just have a few questions.

ive never known anyone in my life whose gotten a dui.. what happens?? for people who have experienced, or know of others who have, what were their circumstances n what all was the penalty for their acts? thanx.

_crs 05-14-2004 08:10 AM

Re: DUI questions

Suspended Lic., 4 days min jail time, about $2000 in fines and fees, not to mention +++++++$$$$$$$insurance!!!!! Friend of mine just got done with hers, regrets it, doesn't even drink any more...just like me, I was lucky enough to get out of a DUI, but it put the fear of GOD into me, and I never drank one sip of ALCOHOL since then...major turning point in my life.

flow fx 05-14-2004 08:11 AM

SR20 insurance - start riding a bike.

Dara 05-14-2004 08:12 AM

it all depends on their past driving records, the blood/alcohol level and of course, the judge... some people can get away with minor fines and community service

Carter 05-14-2004 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by flo w fx

umm.. I think you mean SR22? ;)

flow fx 05-14-2004 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Carter

doh.

_crs 05-14-2004 08:51 AM

lol, oh yeah and 75 hours com.serv !!!! Orange Jsuit on the Highway ownz all!

growley 05-14-2004 08:52 AM

I was pulled over drunk a couple months ago. Luckily, the cop let me off with illegal possession of alcohol. I went to court though and saw what happened to people who got them. Tell your friend that he needs to get a lawyer and to enroll in the ASAP program ASAP (no pun intended), before he goes to court. Trust me.

Capster78 05-14-2004 08:56 AM

Just make sure they learn their lesson. My X-step dad got caught 3 times and was put in jail for 30 days, lost his licence for 10 years and I dont even want to think of what the fine was. When he did get his licence back hes paying out the ass for insurance.

boostjunkie 05-14-2004 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by flo w fx

:woowoo:

BigHead Ted 05-14-2004 09:23 AM

by buike they mean a huffy

MOB 05-14-2004 09:27 AM

Yes definitely get a lawyer. I was in court on Tuesday for my first ticket in a few years and saw a lot of DUI'ers get put in jail. If it were in Newport News, all I have to say is good luck! From what I've heard, Judge Harvell's daughter was killed by a drunk driver and he gives no sympathy when making a decision.

On a side note. Don't get caught speeding 90+mph. Jail sentence for Reckless Driving doing anything over 90mph is 3months in jail. I also saw about 4-5 people get put away for 30days.

DomesticRice 05-14-2004 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by yellowbastrd
Yes definitely get a lawyer. I was in court on Tuesday for my first ticket in a few years and saw a lot of DUI'ers get put in jail. If it were in Newport News, all I have to say is good luck! From what I've heard, Judge Harvell's daughter was killed by a drunk driver and he gives no sympathy when making a decision.

On a side note. Don't get caught speeding 90+mph. Jail sentence for Reckless Driving doing anything over 90mph is 3months in jail. I also saw about 4-5 people get put away for 30days.

My friend was doing 100 on his bike and got 6 days but was let out after 2days.

vmspionage 05-14-2004 09:37 AM

From what I've heard, Judge Harvell's daughter was killed by a drunk driver and he gives no sympathy when making a decision.

I've heard that story too but it's complete bullshit. Call him on it if he ever trys to pull that shit.

boostjunkie 05-14-2004 09:51 AM

i got 30 days for 150+...

:D

PyAri 05-14-2004 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Carter

haha

SpeedJunkie 05-14-2004 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by BlawndyCivGal
it all depends on their past driving records, the blood/alcohol level and of course, the judge... some people can get away with minor fines and community service

Not quite… Minimum one year suspended license, ASAP classes, required to file an SR22 which means you are a high risk to the insurance companies, and whatever the minimum fine is.

My DUI got me: One year suspended license, ASAP ($400), $500 fine, SR22

puffdepyropunk 05-14-2004 10:22 AM

i think ne1 that has enough disregard for themselves or other people for that matter that get a dui should lose theyre liscense for at least a year and jails time for at least 30 days.

SpeedJunkie 05-14-2004 10:24 AM

Forgot to mention... I also got one year in jail suspend on the condtion that I behave for a year or else I would of had to serve it...

SpeedJunkie 05-14-2004 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by puffdepyropunk
i think ne1 that has enough disregard for themselves or other people for that matter that get a dui should lose theyre liscense for at least a year and jails time for at least 30 days.

You would be suprised how functional some people are at the legal limit, I seriously regret what I did but I felt completely capable. The officer did not know I was drunk other than the smell of liquor on me.

growley 05-14-2004 10:55 AM

Seriously, have your friend enroll in a court approved alcoholic program before court. It will show responsibility.

blkmjk 05-14-2004 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie

damn son

Slimsta Jimsta 05-14-2004 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie

holy shit. what kind of car were you in??

split 05-15-2004 01:04 PM

no jail for me,except for he night I spent when I got arrested VASAP, 1 year suspended license, high ass insurance. ~3000 in court and legal costs, and an sr-22. Luckily no one including myself were injured.

AliMac 05-15-2004 01:10 PM

It can vary like everyone said... you can get off the first one with a fine, or you can get slammed. I've got a good friend that I haven't seen because he's been in jail for the past 6 months and he's got 12 to go. And it was for his 2nd offense.

Skywalker 05-15-2004 01:31 PM

Honey, you delinquent. ;)

vbgsx 05-15-2004 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
You would be suprised how functional some people are at the legal limit, I seriously regret what I did but I felt completely capable. The officer did not know I was drunk other than the smell of liquor on me.

What was the reason he pulled you over?
I agree that some people can function(not as well as they would sober) but there's more than smelling liquor on you and then they take you to jail.
He had to offer you tests to take(at the traffic stop). If you fail them, then you're taken for the breath test.

People "feel" they are fine and functional but the truth is that it will slow your reaction time and makes it harder(not impossible) to focus on multiple things at once. That's what the tests do. They make you consentrate on different things at once(I think they call it divided attention tests...could be wrong though).

There are sites all over the internet that will tell you about them.

Tell your friend to get an attorney. As far as fines and punishment, it will some what depend on the city but the state has guidelines for the minimum and maximum punishment(fines and jail time) for DUI. You should be able to find in on the internet somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. If all else fails, tell him to ask an attorney or call the court house for the worse case senerio punishment.
Good luck

12345halo 05-15-2004 04:51 PM

off topic but hey alimac you were tailgating me about two weeks ago on the on ramp towards norfolk ahaha its all good cause i was in a minivan going slow ass shit cause i thought i was going to flip im used to the low talon

SpeedJunkie 05-18-2004 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by vbgsx
What was the reason he pulled you over?
I agree that some people can function(not as well as they would sober) but there's more than smelling liquor on you and then they take you to jail.
He had to offer you tests to take(at the traffic stop). If you fail them, then you're taken for the breath test.

People "feel" they are fine and functional but the truth is that it will slow your reaction time and makes it harder(not impossible) to focus on multiple things at once. That's what the tests do. They make you consentrate on different things at once(I think they call it divided attention tests...could be wrong though).

There are sites all over the internet that will tell you about them.

He pulled me for going 13 over the speed limit. I admit I was stupid because my cars speedometer did not work, but hell I was stupid every day I drove that car that way when I was legally sober.

As far as test on the roadside he said I failed the test that you have to follow the pen with only your eyes while he shines the flashlight behind it. The trick to see if someone fails is if the eyes have a un-smooth path as they follows it (unsteady movement). I have a stigmatism (I am farsighted) which means I cannot see when something is directly in front of my face. I don't know if that effects the test, however I also have no way to say my eyes did or did not do that, nor does the camera in the police cruiser. Once I so called failed this test it means that under the agreement I signed when I applied for a Virginia Drivers License that I agree to take a breathalyzer if there is any question of my sobriety.

I am not justifying what I did, I took my punishment and did not really fight because I did break the law and was in the wrong. However some people handle intoxication better than others and the law was set at the lowest limits which are the people who do not handle it well. That night I felt fully functional.

By the way I managed to walk a straight line 10 steps each way counting each one. Touch the tip of my nose each time perfectly. Recite the alphabet without signing it and stopping at T. All of that without a flaw.

I served the punishment for what I did, the only point of saying that some people are fully function when they get a DUI is so that people will know that something crappy things can happen even when you feel fine. Something like my incident or something even worse that could land you some serious time in jail and leave you feeling guilty and remorseful the rest of your life.

themacuser.org 05-18-2004 03:58 PM

I got a $250 fine, forced to take VASAP ($275 and 10 Wednesday nights ruined), and my liscense restricted for a year. No community service, and 4 hours jailtime in the drunk tank the night I was actually pulled over, no additional time.

It all depends on what you blew, the city, the judge, etc. There are so many variables there's no way to tell what your friend will end up getting.

I'd say get a lawyer, but it didn't help me any. My advice would be go in, plead guilty, and hope for the best. Hopefully they didn't blow over a .18, 'cause that's where shit gets shitty.

themacuser.org 05-18-2004 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by _crs
Suspended Lic., 4 days min jail time, about $2000 in fines and fees

Originally Posted by _crs
lol, oh yeah and 75 hours com.serv

^ This appears to be one of the .18+ BAC cases I was referring to. They don't fuck around when your BAC gets up there.

NO PISTONS 05-19-2004 05:21 AM

everybody can give you examples of what has happen to them or somebody they knew, but really the only one that can tell you what your punishment will be, is going to be the judge. And that decision is based on what kind of lawyer you get (any lawyer will help you regardless who he is) of course some lawyers or better known with better connections but really any lawyer well help. Of course if this isnt your first offense you'll see a higher punishment, you do need to check into a ASAP class before court and maybe a drivenr improvement class as well.