Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Dropped the vert off at VASpeed for a 3.90 rear...

Old 04-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Dropped the vert off at VASpeed for a 3.90 rear...

A buddy made me a deal on his used 3.90 rear that I couldn't pass on. Diff was allready at VaSpeed from his new 427 and Z06 driveline install so I decided to just let them swap the diffs. 3.90s in a coupe/vert with the MN6 trans is equivalent to a C5Z06 MN12 trans with the stock 3.42s... other than 4th which is 1:1 in both gearboxes.

Shold have the car back tomorrow after work.... should be a nice kick in the pants
Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: Dropped the vert off at VASpeed for a 3.90 rear...

let me borrow it forever
Old 04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
CAPS LOCK BABY

CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK

NICE UNICORN...... SO IS THIS JUST CHANGING THE GEARING BASICALLY?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Just got home from picking up the car from Va Speed... so far it seems great. I put some cardboard down under the rear of the car to check for leaks etc., but I'm not expecting any.

The service from Va Speed was great.... the woman working the front desk (Mario's wife, sorry I can't remember her name) was extremely professional on the phone and when going over the car on drop-off inspection... and she called me back in a timely manner which is huge to me.

Then George was great with too.... he called me this afternoon to inform me the car was ready right on time and had a copy of my invoice waiting for me. The stock diff was bagged and boxed in the trunk of my car. Pretty nice for a performance shop to professionally set expectations and then meet them properly.... IMO this is rare in the auto industry... especially the performance aftermarket industry; it was nice for a change.

As for the car.... it's great.... this is why people think C5 Z06s are "so fast" vs. a coupe/vert... it's all the gearing. Now I'm sure in a 3rd and 4th gear pull my cam'd Z06 would pull a few cars on me, but 1st - 3rd any differences are unnoticable. My stock 275s are useless in 1st gear... 2nd and 3rd feel great... 3rd gear from a 60 roll is just perfect.

I did a few figure 8s in a parking lot and the limited slip is 100% quiet, no chatter. The only "negative" I can pickup on is that there is a sight increase in differential noise when under load.... I.e. cruising at 50+ and slowly accelerating you can hear some gear noise vs. the stock gears, but this was 100% expected. Every review I've read online says that the higher ratio gears (numerically) increase gear noise.... I experienced the same thing when putting 3.73s in my Cobra years back.

Overall I'm extremely happy I'm done for now until I find some headers for a deal I can't pass on....

-Brian
Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Cock chugginton

Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost

I was wondering why I saw your car at VA Speed. Thought you were going to leave this one alone...
Old 04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Reef tank addict

phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber

and to think, at one time u said u wouldnt mod this one...
Old 04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

he is soon gonna make a custom hardtop then targa it and put a power stroke in it

jk
Old 04-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Fanboi

Originally Posted by Grifter757
I was wondering why I saw your car at VA Speed. Thought you were going to leave this one alone...
Originally Posted by phyber
and to think, at one time u said u wouldnt mod this one...
Nah... never said that... no custom body/paint work and no internal engine work. Plus I got a great deal on the rear end from someone I trust that I'd have been stupid to pass on.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Doesn't give a fuck

TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr TwistnBrn..Rubr

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Nah... never said that... no custom body/paint work and no internal engine work. Plus I got a great deal on the rear end from someone I trust that I'd have been stupid to pass on.
I'm not gonna look for it but, i could have sworn i saw a post in which you said you would put a new rear end in it and be done.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Fanboi

Huh? I just did put a new rear end in it an it's pretty much done. Only thing left that I want to do is some new wheels. I don't care to do headers and a tune to this car and don't want to do heads/cam etc.

Might throw a supercharger on it down the road in a few years, but no real desire for the way I use the car. It's my nicer weather daily.

Quick Reply: Dropped the vert off at VASpeed for a 3.90 rear...