Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Dont use copper stop leak!!

Old 06-26-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLIPSO 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dont use copper stop leak!!

If you have a turbo charged car or truck, do not use the stop leak that is 1/4th copper shit and 3/4ths water. Sure it works great, but if you have a turbo that is water cooled it will obviously run through the turbo and burn out the bearrings, which then causes the shaft to move whereever it wants untill it eats up all your fins.

When we installed my turbo down at Revolution Motorsports the guy rolled one of the gaskets on the waterpipe after disconnecting it. When we started the car water ran out of the gasket like crazy. So, we shut the car off and he got the idea to use stop leak. So he went and bought the copper like stop leak and poured it in. It worked like a dream leak stopped right away.
So I drove the car around for about 2 weeks and was just starting to tune the car, and all of a sudden the car started smoking really bad. So I go back to Revoultion Motorsports and they say it is the head. So we pull the head I take it to Dunkums ( which did a really good job ) and i spent like 470 for head work and gaskets to put the car back together.
Start the car and it still smokes. So i was standing in front of the car and had my friend shut the car down and we heard a scrapping noise. Turns out it is the fins on the turbo spining freely on the bottom of the turbo houseing. So I pull the turbo off and send it back to get fixed. They tell me it is some copper sealant inside the turbo all over the place and it wont be covered by warranty. So I now have to pay 773 to have them rebuild the turbo that is only like 2 months old. It will take another 2-3 weeks on top of the 6 weeks ive been down now.
I checked the bottle and there is no warning so i thought i would put it on here as a warning and i am calling the company when they open on friday to let them know what i think of there product.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:19 PM
BurtZ06

slo vtec slo vtec

sorry to hear that
Old 06-26-2003, 10:28 PM
Dont Be Scared Homie

Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu

damn dude... that sucks... good luck
Old 06-26-2003, 11:09 PM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

Fuck-a-Mutt
Old 06-27-2003, 09:31 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

www.cheapturbos.com
Old 06-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally posted by Heat
Fuck-a-Mutt