Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

domestic auto trannies

Old 07-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default domestic auto trannies

domestic guys.....

rob isnt here for me to ask this question so i come to the board.

with the trannies that have high stall speeds, are they adjustable? is there an electronic box that say, on the strip i can turn it up to 4500rpm on slicks, then when back on the street i can turn the stall to 2,000rpm??

say i'm on the street i dont want it kicking up to 4500 and then have it lock and feel like i just dropped the clutch and chirp the tires and shit.

i've never owned an auto or a domestic please be nice.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

I can't remember the company, but someone out there makes several different converters for "switch-pitch" TH400 trannies. They're an older tranny, but search around for "switch-pitch transmissions" and I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

No, you can't adjust stall speed. That's a product of the size of the converter, the fins inside the converter, and the torque that your motor is making. It's not going to flash to 4500 at part throttle coming off a stoplight anyway though. Just as long as you ran a pretty good size tranny cooler, or 2 big ones like I do, then you'd really be fine driving a car around with a high stall converter in it. I think what you're looking for is an electronic transmission with a lock up converter. Baumann makes a TCM for the Ford AODE and 4R70W where you can set the converter to lock up at whatever rpm you want it to in 3rd and 4th gear. You could also just run a regular, non-electronic transmission with a lock up converter though. I've gone as high as a 3500 rpm stall lock up on a street car and didn't have any complaints about drivability.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

good all around info.....thanks.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:52 AM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Originally posted by Blasphemous
I can't remember the company, but someone out there makes several different converters for "switch-pitch" TH400 trannies.
Torque Converter: Custom "Switch-Pitch" stall converter. Low stall at 1850rpm, High Stall at 4000rpm.
Switch-Pitch Info: For those of you unfamiliar with a switch-pitch, it is a custom converter with movable vanes which allows them to change pitch and vary the stall speed. The transmission required a special input shaft (ours is hardened in this case) and front pump housing for a solenoid. The solenoid raises the fluid pressure which changes the pitch of the vanes in the converter. This allows you, at the touch of a button, to change your stall speed. High stall converters are great at launch, but are very inefficient everywhere else because they allow slippage, that's what enables them to stall so high, so you don't get those tire-barking shifts. With a switch-pitch, I can launch in high-stall mode (4000rpm) and as soon as the vehicle settles, press the button on my shifter and it will lock up the torque converter instantly barking the tires as if I had shifted gears. It will continue to bark the tires through the rest of the gears because the torque converter is fully locked up. This makes for more fun on the street and better quarter mile times. How often to you get to get your cake and eat it to?
From the 454SS truck that was posted in eye-candy a little while ago.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:15 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by Nic
No, you can't adjust stall speed
Never say never... look up the switch-pitch tranny. It's an older design and it's not very readily available unless things have shanged.

Eng, good quote you threw in there. That kind of makes it sound like all it does is lock-up the tranny. It actually lowers the stall so far that the tranny will lock up from normal operation (i.e. it locks up at high speed/rpm).