Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Do I need a Bill of Sale?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms
Default Do I need a Bill of Sale?

Just as the title asks.
I just moved up here from way down south, and the rules and laws are different down there (Louisiana).

I got a Lexus from a guy when I first got up here and we wrote up a Bill of Sale and everything. I took that, my insurance and the signed title to the DMV and got my registration.
Now, I can't really recall if they actually looked at the Bill of Sale... but it seems to as if the Title being signed over would be a Bill of Sale in itself.

Long story short, I have my proof of insurance and the signed title on this new vehicle, will that be enough? I live in Spotsylvania county if that helps.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Punch the dot

Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle!
Default Re: Do I need a Bill of Sale?

Bill of Sale is just to cover your own ass.
Basically a Bill of Sale is to make clear the point of the car being sold as is.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by (Q'.')-o
Basically a Bill of Sale is to make clear the point of the car being sold as is.
I second this...
Old 11-29-2009, 08:42 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

you just said you got your registration. if you have your registration, thats all you need to be legal, bill of sales are required by the dmv during registration.. If you paid for the car with no lein on it. you should have gotten a reprinted title in your name, if you financed it,they will send it to your bank and youll get it when you pay it off. If you have a registration card. You are perfectly legal.you dont need to carry around a bill of sale.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

If you don't have a bill of sale at DMV, they will look up the KBB value and charge you the appropriate fees from the value. If you get a bill of sale, then you can save some money if you bought it for cheaper than the KBB. Most people I've brought from have been generous enough to sign the bill, but let me fill in the sale price.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM
The world is yours

Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin Cr33pin

always get a bill of sale
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM
БЛЯДЬ!

HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG

Originally Posted by (Q'.')-o
Not here in Va Beach, at least. You won't get your car registered without a BOS. If the car is older than 5 or 6 years you don't need it notarized. (IIRC)
Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

[QUOTE=ProPixel;5862278]Not here in Va Beach, at least. You won't get your car registered without a BOS. If the car is older than 5 or 6 years you don't need it notarized. (IIRC)[/QUOInTE]

I have registered tons of cars without bills of sale in va beach
Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 AM
БЛЯДЬ!

HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG

[QUOTE=Boost-box;5862361]
Originally Posted by ProPixel
Not here in Va Beach, at least. You won't get your car registered without a BOS. If the car is older than 5 or 6 years you don't need it notarized. (IIRC)[/QUOInTE]

I have registered tons of cars without bills of sale in va beach
I've been "required" to have a bill of sale for my last three cars in the past three years here in Va Beach. Dunno if it's because I have an out of state drivers license or what.

Maybe they're just fucking with me. LOL
Old 11-29-2009, 11:58 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

[QUOTE=ProPixel;5862430]
Originally Posted by Boost-box

I've been "required" to have a bill of sale for my last three cars in the past three years here in Va Beach. Dunno if it's because I have an out of state drivers license or what.

Maybe they're just fucking with me. LOL

same here, maybe its the employees who are too lazy to look up the blue book. but every time ive went to register a car in the last 2 years, which has been about 6 times. They required a bill of sale. if the car was bought out of state than it had to be notarized.

Quick Reply: Do I need a Bill of Sale?