Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

DMV buying and selling question.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crxinout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DMV buying and selling question.

I bought a truck 6 months ago.I didnt sign the title nor did i get it registered or insured.The truck has been in my driveway and has never been on public streets since purchased.Now i have a buyer but i dont know how this will work when he goes to dmv to register the truck. Am i going to get in any kind of trouble for not signing any paperwork?i'm looking just to sell the truck and get my hands clean of it...does anyone have any advice?

Last edited by crxinout; 03-11-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

jay357 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DMV buying and selling question.

I have done pretty much the same thing several times. I never got in any trouble.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

if you havent signed or wirtten your name on the title then your good
Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

So you dont have the title, or you just didnt sign it?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 PM
KLANK KLANK WHIRRR

Josh Z. has disabled reputation

Honestly for your sake and the buyers sake just shell out to get the title transferred to you before you sell it. I got massively fucked the first time I ever bought a car because the douche who sold it to me never transferred the title to himself, and then I managed to fuck up the title (long story) and then wound up having to get in contact with the person whose name was still on the title (and never did actually) and it was just a gigantic fucking mess. I'll never throw down money on a car unless the person selling it is the person whose name is on the title.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Fuck Bitches, Get $$

rydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud ofrydnlow1120 has much to be proud of

So if he transfers the title to his name, and then the next person is a dumbass who fucks up the title like you, then they are in the same boat? why should he shell out the extra cash if neither the new person (or you) truly need to contact the previous owner?

As long as the OP didnt sign, you're fine. No need to fret. Give the new owner the title, keep it moving.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Registered member

nutsack nutsack nutsack nutsack nutsack nutsack nutsack nutsack nutsack nutsack nutsack

legally you are "supposed" to title the vehicle in your name before selling it, but if you haven't signed the title then there isn't anything stopping you from selling it without titling it in your name. although the person who's name is on the title could get screwed with paying additional personal property tax on the vehicle since it's still in his name. If he gets charged the tax and makes a stink about it and shows the city a bill of sale with your name on it and a date from 6 months ago then I guess it could escalate higher and someone could get in trouble.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 PM
REDRUM

90tegLS can only hope to improve

just pay the $10 and get the title transfered in your name and then sign it and give it to the new buyer.....save yourself from the possibilty of future hassle...but you are going to have to pay the sales taxes of what ever you paid for it. i believe if it is anything less than 800 its $35 plus the $10 for the transfer (by the way the have a name for what your are trying to do its called title skipping and the dealers do it all the time when they get cars from auctions to try and avoid paying taxes) as far as the personal property tax what ever you owned as of the 1st of jan is what you have to pay taxes on
Old 03-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Banned

qualityauto has a little shameless behaviour in the past

guys, listen.... you just broke the law. but the bottom line is you made the second mistake by telling everybody about it. there is no way for dmv to know unless somebody tells them. you "skipped" title. no, they are not going to lock you up, and if you get caught you will get a fine. but like i said, someone would have to tell dmv. if you bought the car from an individual you are okay. if you bought the car from an auction, such as a tow auction, you may not be okay....