Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Different Gas in your tank?

Old 04-20-2006, 05:18 AM
psycho jungle cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift
Default Different Gas in your tank?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2&page=1&pp=25

I thought I was the only one noticing, or just being paranoid, that my car was running extremely/unusually hot the other day, but this kind of made sense to me.

I haven't been driving my car as hard as I typically may and my datalogger was picking up more knock. I'm using an AEM wideband, not some crummy Autometer. My fan shroud was melting, the vacuum line on my wastegate melted, and the other night noticed my manifold was glowing. My valve cover felt as hot as a manifold.

Anyone else notice this about their cars?

>BTW, I participated in this year's Poker Run with a 10% leaner mix, and didn't have any of these symptoms. <
-Citium2012 (Chris)

Last edited by Spindrift; 04-20-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:25 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC
Default Re: Different Gas in your tank?

It's definitely a different gas.

"Summer blend" usually has less additives and extra's in it as to try and keep pollution down. It is a worse gas them gas we can get in the colder months. Also, they have been required to put more ethonal in the mix which won't help much either.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:30 AM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
It's definitely a different gas.

"Summer blend" usually has less additives and extra's in it as to try and keep pollution down. It is a worse gas them gas we can get in the colder months. Also, they have been required to put more ethonal in the mix which won't help much either.
Oh well that makes sense.

Have you or anyone here tried Octane boosters? I talked to two others who did, reset their ECU's, and said the problem never came back. My only question, is how bad can this be for the O2 sensor? OR does this only comply with C16 & leaded gases?

And before anyone flames me, I've already read the 0.2-0.4'ish increase in octane when using such 104 boosters. Just didn't know if the booster had actually helped with summer's gas.
-Citium2012 (Chris)
Old 04-20-2006, 05:46 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Yes, I use octance boosters at least once a month. With one of my old carb'd cars I could tell a difference with the NOS Off-road stuff. Now, don't really notice as much a difference. The smell of it out of the exhaust is definitely noticeable and I figure it'll help clean stuff out as well.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Means Slow

MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of

time to run slightly more rich. and adjust timing.

Last edited by MABAGAL; 04-20-2006 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:34 AM
psycho jungle cat

Originally Posted by 02_Blazin
time to run slightly more rich. and adjust timing.
You got that right. I'm playing with my fuel constantly. I went to gas up today, there was a line ($2.99 Premium @ BP Battlefield/Hanbury), and in big, red bold letters, "THIS FUEL CONTAINS 10% ETHANOL".

Most summers I've had a basic turbo-kit on my cars and never paid much attention to these kind of issues.
-Citium2012 (Chris)
Old 04-21-2006, 11:25 AM
OG from 2000

SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94

Jake, My Jeep used to ping after it warmed up and especially during heavy load situations like accelerating in O/D..but I started using STP Octane boost once a month and its virtually dissappeared. I guess the claims of cleaning injecters and the fuel lines in general may be true. Both of my cars take 93 only.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Home, finally

Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012

Originally Posted by SHOFEAR94
Jake, My Jeep used to ping after it warmed up and especially during heavy load situations like accelerating in O/D..but I started using STP Octane boost once a month and its virtually dissappeared. I guess the claims of cleaning injecters and the fuel lines in general may be true. Both of my cars take 93 only.
Is this Chris? Chris, this is Chris (Citium2012, Chris) . My computer at home doesn't let me log-on half the time so I post under Jake's name and put my name right under the post. I'm looking to pick up some Octane Booster this week.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

TORQUEMONSTA has disabled reputation

LUCAS HAS A FUEL ADDITIVE THAT SAYS "BURNS RED HOT" ON THE BOTTLE.I HAVE HAD SIMILAR ISSUES WITH MY CAR BEFORE IN COLDER MONTHS.TWO TREATMENTS DID THE JOB,BUT I USE IT IN EVERY TANK NOW.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:02 AM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

STOP YELLING!!!1!11

Quick Reply: Different Gas in your tank?