Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Difference Between VTEC & i-VTEC

Old 09-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Wii
Retired OG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii
Default Difference Between VTEC & i-VTEC

So what are the difference? I know the basic, but does anyone know in detail of the difference between the two?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:26 AM
DAAAANG & OHDAANG

MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch
Default Re: Difference Between VTEC & i-VTEC

from what i understand, and i may be wrong, is that vtec is a different cam profile for the intake side only. this creates a low amount of torque but great revs and horsepower. i-VTEC has a cam profile for both intake and exhuast creating more torque. "i" stands for intelligent.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:28 AM
DAAAANG & OHDAANG

MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch

driving difference is that with VTEC you get a louder or more aggressive engagement. where i-vtec is a smoother trasition of power when engaged.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

DOHC Vtec engines have different profiles on both the intake and exhaust cams. Not only on the Intake side.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

96blkcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

sohc cam only operates on the intake side, dohc operates both intake and exhaust as does the i-vtec. the difference is the beyond me though. maybe the timing is even more advanced.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:20 AM
Wii
Retired OG

Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii

Originally Posted by Honda-S2000
driving difference is that with VTEC you get a louder or more aggressive engagement. where i-vtec is a smoother trasition of power when engaged.

So for K-Series, you can't hear the i-VTEC engage?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:41 AM
DAAAANG & OHDAANG

its not as dramatic. the added torque makes it feel like less engagement.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:47 AM
DAAAANG & OHDAANG

straight from a Honda facts book:

the i-vtec design enhances the benefits of vtec by adding variable timing control (vtc). vtc is a hybraulically operated system that controls the phasing, or timing, of the chain-driven camshaft, advancing or retarding it on the intake cycle.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by Insperation
So for K-Series, you can't hear the i-VTEC engage?
its not as dramatic. the added torque makes it feel like less engagement.

Haha, have you ever heard the K-series crossover with an intake and no hondata? It is loud... The added torque is not enough to do away with the jolt of extra power in stock form, however hondata has done wonders to the midrange power through tuning the ecu with Hondata #4, or you can get hondata's k-pro which is a completely tunable ECU. With hondata the powerband is smoothed out so then I will agree with the statement because there is no noticeable transition.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:39 AM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

straight from a Honda facts book:

the i-vtec design enhances the benefits of vtec by adding variable timing control (vtc). vtc is a hybraulically operated system that controls the phasing, or timing, of the chain-driven camshaft, advancing or retarding it on the intake cycle.
This is correct

Quick Reply: Difference Between VTEC & i-VTEC