VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   del slows??? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/del-slows-128841/)

WezieBme 02-22-2006 12:17 PM

del slows???

why do so many people in the honda and acura community hate on del sols so much??

from the research ive done on average they weigh about 75 lbs more than most civics( minus hb's) and less than tegs but yet everyone says they are all slow and are garbage!!why is this???

i just think from what ive seen in the honda and acura community that there is generally a bunch of haters!!!

just rambling but if anyone has any comments, feel free to hit me up!!

j4k3 02-22-2006 12:24 PM

Re: del slows???

only thing i dont like about them is that they are called 3rd gen CRX's but they look nothing like them

SpoolnSRT4 02-22-2006 12:25 PM

Reason being so much weight for such a little car they could have made them lighter but do to saftey concerns with the Targa top they didn't.....Also people think they are girls cars why I don't know nor care just my 2 cents

Odysseus Prime 02-22-2006 12:29 PM

Because they look fucking retarded with stock suspension.
The very base model is slow as hell.

WezieBme 02-22-2006 12:37 PM

yes the base model is very slow, but the vtec del sol is much nastier......

i agree they could have made them much lighter but they didnt just like they could have made the tegs much lighter too but i dont see eveyone going around sayin they are slow terds!!!

dont get me wrong im not takin up for hondas faults for the del sol , but i think other than civic hatches... the vtec del sol isnt that bad for hp to wieght!! just my opinion!!

Spectacular-V 02-22-2006 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by WezieBme
the vtec del sol is much nastier......

those words should not be in a sentence together

Zen 02-22-2006 12:54 PM

If you like the car so much, it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. I use to own one and wouldn't mind picking up another one day.

DOHC crx VTEC 02-22-2006 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by j4k3
only thing i dont like about them is that they are called 3rd gen CRX's but they look nothing like them

Can I get a AMEN, brotha?

MABAGAL 02-22-2006 02:24 PM

well i have a friend with a gsr motor in it. its pretty quick and its "different" than having a civic or integra.

Jarrod 02-22-2006 02:35 PM

I happen to love DelSols; but couldn't own one. If I did own one, I'd pull the del-sol seats out, and put some S2000 or ITR seats in there.

I have two friends with the B16a2/3 Models and they are very fun to drive; even in stock form.

brokemyR1 02-22-2006 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 02_Blazin
well i have a friend with a gsr motor in it. its pretty quick and its "different" than having a civic or integra.

damn right...its just a civic/integra with a different body and all the same parts..

1sol2nv 02-22-2006 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 94Sieg
damn right...its just a civic/integra with a different body and all the same parts..

since i owned one i feel i can chime in...i had a 94 si with only mods being coilovers and a cai...I think its the most fun ive ever had with a vechicle.Taking the top off on warm days/nights is great.Also as for being called a "girls" car i dunno about that but girls like to ride in them!:D

Runnin13s 02-22-2006 02:57 PM

i had a del sol once...... i dont think ill ever own one again .. but i loved mine. but it was a lil faster than the base model .......

Boost609 02-22-2006 02:59 PM

^^Shut up, faster than base model haha

Fabrik8 02-22-2006 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by SpoolnSRT4
Reason being so much weight for such a little car they could have made them lighter but do to saftey concerns with the Targa top they didn't.....Also people think they are girls cars why I don't know nor care just my 2 cents

I had a vtec del sol, Kyle has it now. They aren't heavy because of safety reasons, they are heavier because they need a lot of extra middle chassis reinforcement because they have no roof. Cars with roofs like the hatchback use the roof and the glass for chassis stiffness. There's a reason why del sols feel more nervous and flexy with the roof off. If they made it a T top instead of a full removeable targa then it could have been made a lot lighter, that one middle support does wonders for rigidity. I always wanted to bond the roof in place and get rid of all the top seals, I'd rather have a stiff car than a convertible.. It's too bad it can't be welded shut, the roof is aluminum and the rest of the body is steel..

95siguy 02-22-2006 04:07 PM

Does anyone know how much the del sols weigh stock?
Everything I've seen lists the curb weight around 2300lbs (for the base/Si models), which I'm pretty sure is lighter than all of the newer Civics and most of the 92-95's (besides the hatchbacks).

WezieBme 02-22-2006 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 95siguy
Does anyone know how much the del sols weigh stock?
Everything I've seen lists the curb weight around 2300lbs (for the base/Si models), which I'm pretty sure is lighter than all of the newer Civics and most of the 92-95's (besides the hatchbacks).

the s/ si models weigh roughly about 2450 and the vtec delsol weighs 2522.... which oputs them right around the same weight as the 92-95 civics minus hb's.

Flite 02-22-2006 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I had a vtec del sol, Kyle has it now. They aren't heavy because of safety reasons, they are heavier because they need a lot of extra middle chassis reinforcement because they have no roof. Cars with roofs like the hatchback use the roof and the glass for chassis stiffness. There's a reason why del sols feel more nervous and flexy with the roof off. If they made it a T top instead of a full removeable targa then it could have been made a lot lighter, that one middle support does wonders for rigidity. I always wanted to bond the roof in place and get rid of all the top seals, I'd rather have a stiff car than a convertible.. It's too bad it can't be welded shut, the roof is aluminum and the rest of the body is steel..

are you in Va or out west still?

KyleVA 02-22-2006 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by WezieBme
the s/ si models weigh roughly about 2450 and the vtec delsol weighs 2522.... which oputs them right around the same weight as the 92-95 civics minus hb's.

I actually don't know.

I am going to get mine weighed soon just since I have been wondering about this.

I've heard they weight somewhere around 2408?

Fabrik8 02-22-2006 06:10 PM

Out west for good, at least for a few years until I get my undergrad and masters. We're prepping a RS200 for Pikes Peak this year, and I'm getting a development job for an ECU manufacturer in the next few weeks (using the RS200 for a devel mule).. I wish I could have kep the sol, it's such a fun car to drive around town every day..

Tarzan Bakerada 02-22-2006 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Out west for good, at least for a few years until I get my undergrad and masters. We're prepping a RS200 for Pikes Peak this year, and I'm getting a development job for an ECU manufacturer in the next few weeks (using the RS200 for a devel mule).. I wish I could have kep the sol, it's such a fun car to drive around town every day..

what school are you attending if you dont mind me asking?

Fabrik8 02-22-2006 09:19 PM

Colorado State, Fort Collins..

redvx 02-23-2006 12:06 AM

When I had my B18C5 in the del sol, everyone loved it :)

Will Sol 02-23-2006 02:27 AM

I own one now. They are great and fun for just cruising or aggressive driving.

Oh and does anyone have an extra del sol seat, dont care about condition just need the seat pan and bottom rails so I can mount my other S2K seat?

akalei 02-23-2006 03:46 AM

I had one and loved it. :) And for those of you that want to take out your Del Sol seats, be careful when removing them, you can sell them for a decent amount. I sold mine w/ a blue stripe for 350 bucks, including rails and all. Worked for me :D

JamesPrelude 02-23-2006 03:53 AM

Just to get to the original question why people hated it.... I mean... the car is small as anything... but it weighs a few hundred less then my lude... and my cars freaken gigantor next to a sol... heh.. it's just that people in see a car that size as being ultra light and nimbel... and it's just not... but dude... it's just like any car, it has potential... just thought I'd throw in my two cents... and wow.. I was looking at it 2400-500, mines about 2900 with the car being empty... or at least it says so on the title... which i think it's a lie... as I siad.. my cars like the fat kid of the honda world... sel sols.. that's just his chubby little brother... and don't worry bro.. everyone calls my car a chick car too... all I can say is... "Yeah, girls love preludes..." works for me...

Jarrod 02-23-2006 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by JamesPrelude
Just to get to the original question why people hated it.... I mean... the car is small as anything... but it weighs a few hundred less then my lude... and my cars freaken gigantor next to a sol... heh.. it's just that people in see a car that size as being ultra light and nimbel... and it's just not... but dude... it's just like any car, it has potential... just thought I'd throw in my two cents... and wow.. I was looking at it 2400-500, mines about 2900 with the car being empty... or at least it says so on the title... which i think it's a lie... as I siad.. my cars like the fat kid of the honda world... sel sols.. that's just his chubby little brother... and don't worry bro.. everyone calls my car a chick car too... all I can say is... "Yeah, girls love preludes..." works for me...

400-500 is alot of weight, IMO. Fabrik8 already explained why they were heavy.

Originally Posted by akalei
I had one and loved it. And for those of you that want to take out your Del Sol seats, be careful when removing them, you can sell them for a decent amount. I sold mine w/ a blue stripe for 350 bucks, including rails and all. Worked for me

Holy shit. I bought my DelSol's perfect condition for 35 bucks with rails and everything..

hbracer93 02-23-2006 04:38 AM

if you can't find a sol seat just get an eg seat

Will Sol 02-23-2006 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by hbracer93
if you can't find a sol seat just get an eg seat

It will bolt right up no problem?

akalei 02-23-2006 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Holy shit. I bought my DelSol's perfect condition for 35 bucks with rails and everything..

Yeah I had like 4 or 5 people trying to get them from me. I forget where I listed them, I think ebay. Someone drove down from MD to get them!!! I was really happy lol. So,if you need some cash, might want to see if you can sell yours :p

BentValve 02-23-2006 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by WillSol
It will bolt right up no problem?

Yup, same with any 3rg gen integra seat.

WezieBme 02-23-2006 07:41 AM

wow do posts around here get off topic quick!!
but bump for del sol weights....

EG 1995 Honda del Sol S MT 2295
EG 1995 Honda del Sol S AT 2387
EG 1995 Honda del Sol Si MT 2414
EG 1995 Honda del Sol Si AT 2474
EG 1995 Honda del Sol VTEC MT 2522

mechfan81 02-23-2006 10:42 PM

here is a good site for some specs on them. http://members.lycos.nl/hendrik/delsol/soltech.htm
i just bought one myself. i love it to death. been trying to buy one for 6+ years now.

Nigerian Hair 02-26-2006 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Runnin13s
i had a del sol once...... i dont think ill ever own one again .. but i loved mine. but it was a lil faster than the base model .......

lol...if you want to call 350whp a "little" faster than the base model.