Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

"defective" exhaust ticket HELP

Old 07-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grant90 has disabled reputation
Default "defective" exhaust ticket HELP

Yesterday the police followed me all the way to my house and pulled me over (I was literally looking at my residence. The officer stated that i'm NOT allowed to have my current exhaust on my car,because it's not stock (had no clue i'm in the military) he said it was a "defective exhaust". Not once did he say that it was too loud nor did he test it to see the decibel output. My court date is in September and I was wondering are there any ways that I could get the judge to rule in my favor, so I don't have to pay this ticket.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:52 AM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS
Default Re: "defective" exhaust ticket HELP

sound output doesnt matter, the way the law is written anything other than stock is illegal

put the stock exhaust back on, take a picture, take it to court, and maybe it will be dropped

otherwise get out your check book.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:56 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

So what do they do for people who have 50 year old cars for which there is no stock exhaust available?

I wonder if OP is a minority with a giant marijuana leaf sticker on his back glass or something. This sounds like the pettiest cop in the world.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:57 AM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

FYI
� 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:58 AM
cameron chaos

issues135 can only hope to improve

i think you will have to pay court cost regardless of wether the ticket gets thrown out or not but im not sure but if you put stock exhaust back on the car and take a picture they will most likely throw the ticket out
Old 07-04-2010, 06:00 AM
thermal efficiency

Originally Posted by marlinspike
So what do they do for people who have 50 year old cars for which there is no stock exhaust available?

I wonder if OP is a minority with a giant marijuana leaf sticker on his back glass or something. This sounds like the pettiest cop in the world.
doesnt have to be OEM or NOS, just comparable
Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Originally Posted by grant90
Yesterday the police followed me all the way to my house and pulled me over (I was literally looking at my residence. The officer stated that i'm NOT allowed to have my current exhaust on my car,because it's not stock (had no clue i'm in the military) he said it was a "defective exhaust". Not once did he say that it was too loud nor did he test it to see the decibel output. My court date is in September and I was wondering are there any ways that I could get the judge to rule in my favor, so I don't have to pay this ticket.
yup
Old 07-04-2010, 06:09 AM
liquor&cheeseburgers

Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy

Just pay the bitch. Its like an $80 ticket.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:22 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by J. O. BUDS
doesnt have to be OEM or NOS, just comparable
Eh, fair enough I guess. Still though, if it isn't too loud or too polluting, they law shouldn't bother you for it. I'm glad I live in one of the smaller town parts of the state, where a cop has said to me "sounds good, how fast will it go?"
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 AM
БЛЯДЬ!

HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG

Funny thing is that bros with mustangs dont get pulled over for their magna flow ultra x-pipe catless badass exhausts.

Quick Reply: "defective" exhaust ticket HELP