Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose
98-02 BMW Z3
10.00%
1st gen Miata
60.00%
Brock is gay
40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Decisions decisions... Roadster help...

Old 09-03-2013, 05:01 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby
Default Decisions decisions... Roadster help...

Morning Gents and Clams;

Ok my current DD is pretty much sold. Its a 2004 RX8. Fun little car that i love driving but I want something that doesn't drink gas like its going out of style. It handles like a dream and loves to go.

Now I'm looking to pick up a little roadster for a new DD, something that can handle in stock form and be better after some aftermarket. I've wound it down to 2 cars I'm really interested in and wanted to know from people who have owned both or one or the other and could give me some of the pros and cons of them so I can try to wind down to what I should get.

1. 1998-2002 BMW Z3 2.3 which from my research has the 2.5 I6 in it. Manual of course. Things I know from what I've found so far is that the I6 Z3 is nose heavy and have a loose feel in the corners with stock suspension. I've always liked these for some reason.

2. 1st Gen Miata. I've driven a 99 and the newest models but the 2nd gen is harder for me to fit in. I know I can fit in a 1st gen with no problem and I know the aftermarket is wide open for these cars. From what I know from reading and knowing a few miata owners is that the motors in these are underpowered. But its like a loose go-cart or balanced go-cart from what I have read. I know they handle well and are lighter compared to the Z3. I've always wanted one of these but never knew I could fit in one until hear recently.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Registered member

valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1 valdaviper1
Default Re: Decisions decisions... Roadster help...

Just go test drive both. I owned a C5 vert autotragic and then a stock 92 1.6 NA 5speed, and the NA was more fun in stock form in the corners and around town. Underpowered yes, but it can be fun to floor it everywhere and even slide a bit and not even break the speed limit. With the top down it just FEELS like you're going fast. One time though, my first Miata cruise I was following an sc'd NC and while he'd lose me on the straights, in the corners I could keep up and he was quite surprised that it was just a stock 1.6 on Kumho all seasons. Plus, no matter how hard you push it, over 25 mpg easy, though the 1.8's drink a bit more fuel..Very reliable and any parts from maintenance to upgrades are dirt cheap. Just look for one with a good body, no rust, clean history, and some sort of maintenance records and you should be fine. I'd also suggest buying in the fall/winter as prices plummet and then rise like crazy come t-shirt weather..

Pros? Cheap to do anything to it, easy to drive and park, great feeling clutch/shifter/steering, great looking in and out(simple/functional), POP UP HEADLIGHTS, reliable. Cons? Can look girly if completely stock and a red/blue color(to me at least), tiny trunk, old car=more to replace no matter how well maintained, any minivan can beat you if they floor it, you'll always have to explain to people why you drive it, it feels like a deathtrap next to a semi on the highway, kids will always tell you to slam it bro.

As far as the Z3: I love the way they look, better to me than any Z4 but I'm guessing they are nowhere as cheap as an NA/NB to maintain/upgrade, I do love seeing them around though.

edited.

Last edited by valdaviper1; 09-03-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

I'm not a fan of the z3's. First it's a bmw, so a little nore expensive to maintain. Plus every one i have sat in has felt very cramped compared to my na.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Yes, I'd go with the NA as well, or N-gay as I affectionately call them. You're going to spend less and they cost less to repair so you will have more money for upgrades. Any reason why you ruled out the S2k? I'd say consider that one too since it is just a plain good fucking car.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

I like the S2000 but I feel cramped and uncomfortable in them compared to ths Z3 and NA. I'm 6'5.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by Slooby
I like the S2000 but I feel cramped and uncomfortable in them compared to ths Z3 and NA. I'm 6'5.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Buy an na and cut some foam out of the drivers seat. Then you'll have plenty of room and more than likely enough for a roll bar.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Thanks for the input I got, I'm starting my search today for a NA miata. I'm looking at a 92 Miata that is unmolested for a fresh starting point. I was told that these had the 1.6 in them but as long as it runs good and gets good gas mileage and the body is in good shape and sold I'll just swap the motor later. I've already gotten some tips on what to look for as far as the top and rust locations from a good friend of mine who has a LS1 swapped NA miata and a S/C NB. If anyone else has any more helpful tips let me know.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:39 AM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Originally Posted by Slooby
Thanks for the input I got, I'm starting my search today for a NA miata. I'm looking at a 92 Miata that is unmolested for a fresh starting point. I was told that these had the 1.6 in them but as long as it runs good and gets good gas mileage and the body is in good shape and sold I'll just swap the motor later. I've already gotten some tips on what to look for as far as the top and rust locations from a good friend of mine who has a LS1 swapped NA miata and a S/C NB. If anyone else has any more helpful tips let me know.
Make sure it came with the factory LSD, will save you money from buying one.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Originally Posted by Yep4doors
Make sure it came with the factory LSD, will save you money from buying one.
Is there a way to tell by looking at the diff housing or do I need to do a vin check

Last edited by Slooby; 09-13-2013 at 03:59 AM. Reason: can't spell

Quick Reply: Decisions decisions... Roadster help...