Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

coilovers/springs...

Old 02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ
Default coilovers/springs...

I understand the difference. One is more expensive than the other. One is adjustable. LOL But my questions are these...

1. Who "tunes" the coilovers? ( I would guess that's how you put it)

2. Do you have a street and track setting? ( I know it's manual, do you change the settings on the reguar?)

3. I don't want to just lower my car, I want it to handle better.(which will be better)

4. Ride quality? (differences please)

I am definately a suspension newb. I have no clue about any of it. Unless it's lowering a p-up or suburban.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:48 PM
٩███۶ wilrep 4 a leg

ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ
Default Re: coilovers/springs...

whoa
Old 02-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ ZweetdreamZ

Originally Posted by marcusgnf
whoa
Yep that helps alot. Thanks close thread...All my questions are answered.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
1505/2000

execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon

most coilover company's have only 2 spring rate's so they basicaly suck! (all bouncey and shit)
ground controls and couple others actual have some nice shit. make sure you don't skimp on struts get something adjustable! agx koni's etc..
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

i'm a noob also, but i can add some insight atleast.

1) you can "tune" your suspension. coilovers come with lots of adjustments, dampning settings, ride height, and spring rate. THe more expensive coilovers come with more adjustments, the cheaper ones come with presets. Usually a generic spring rate with a relative stiff dampning. If you buy springs from a company, most of the time they will allow you to choose your own spring rate. BUt yeah...tuning means you have to have access to a track and play with your settings over and over.

2) Well, most of the expensive ones allow you to change dampning settings. So you would select a softer setting for street, and harder setting for track. Tein makes EDFC which you can change many settings within the cabin. But on a daily driver, i would imagine one would just set-it and forget it. Atleast thats what i would do.

3) lowering your car will make your car handle better ( typcially) it lowers the cg.

4) Usually coilover dampners are harsh. They usually come with pillowball metal topmounts...which means there is no give between your suspension and your chassis. They usually are accompanied with a loud clunk's and creaks. Springs/shock combos usually retain stock topmounts so its a easier ride.

this is my generic philosophy,

daily driver no roadcourse or autoxing = spring/shock combo
daily driver w/occasional autoxing, roadcourse = coilovers
track slut = coilovers
Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys...now im looking at the tein coilovers I plan to autox monthly, road race ocasionally and drive the bitch to work everyday...Which "type" would I be best off w/
Old 02-23-2006, 09:02 PM
1505/2000

execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon execelon

sounds like the TEIN Type FLEX would be your best bet..
Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

Any brand coilover should work for you. Tein is a good company that specialize in suspension. HKS and ZEAL, Tanabe makes some awsome coilovers as well. Ground Control and Koni's have been in the game for a while..and im sure you can call them and get some good help for the type you need. Blistein's are awsome too. I don't have experience with some offshoot brands ie, omnipower, megan racing...you would have to ask about them.

Just don't get some crappy springs and adj. perch combo that you find on ebay. They arn't true coilover dampners...just adjustable perch's for springs.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

as it stands, pay attention to what jkim is saying and ignore the crap posted prior to his.

if you want to get the most out of your coilovers, find a place that will corner balance your car. find people with the same car, who use their car they way that you intend to, and see what they suggest as far as spring rates.

ride quality will naturally go down, but how bearable a level depends on how the spring rates match with the dampers, and what you consider bearable.

what car btw?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

I went the coilover route, then decided to go with a nice set of shocks and springs instead.

I made this decision because:
#1 - I don't plan on tracking my car a lot, just occasional autocrosses and perhaps a track day or two.
#2 - It really did hurt the ride of the car for daily driving, it became pretty uncomfortable because of the state of the roads in my area. Construction sucks.

I opted to go with a pretty firm spring (Tanabe GF210) and KYB AGX 8 way adjustable shocks. This way I can keep the dampening a bit soft for daily driving, and tighten things up easily if I plan on autocrossing or simply doing some spirited driving.

edit: soulD he has a Mazda speed 6.

Quick Reply: coilovers/springs...