Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

clutch question..

Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
jss
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jss has disabled reputation
Default clutch question..

ive been trying to learn more about clutches because im afraid i might need to replace mine. i was thinking i might be interested in getting a stage 1 or 2 because i read they last longer than oem. and this is on my stock dx civic so i know i dont need it because of a lot of power or anything i was just considering it because of longer life and i like the feeling of a more grabby clutch. but what i was wondering is the validity of a mechanic's claim that they "put more stress on the engine".. i figure this is the last thing i want to do as my car has about 170k miles.. i tried searching and i havent seen anyone else backing the claim but i thought id ask. thanks for reading
Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: clutch question..

The mechanic is right. Mostly it's gearbox stress instead of engine stress though. Think of it this way though.. You've got a certain amount of power, and the power is engaged over a certain time period. If you get a grabby clutch and engage it fast, that same amount of power is now engaged over a shorter time period, which tends to put more shock load on the gears and bearings. Really though, any transmission should easily be able to handle the engagement characteristics of a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch. If it couldn't, that means that the transmission is designed right on the ragged edge of safety, and OEMs don't do that. Basically there is a big difference between putting stock power through a grabby aftermarket clutch versus putting big power through an grabby aftermarket clutch.

All that being said, there is no reason that you can't go to an upgraded clutch. The truth is that a grabby clutch will add more stress during engagement, but in reality that extra stress is well within what the engine and transmission can handle if you've got anywhere near stock power.

Get one and enjoy.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: clutch question..

It's a stock Civic DX.Get the cheapest thing you can,and put it in there.No need for more "grab" with 100HP!Besides,any new clutch will feel much grabbier than the old,worn out one.You'll be chirping second gear in the rain in no time.
Unless you drive like an idiot,the new clutch should last at least another 170k miles-what more could you ask for?
Chris