Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Which cheap project car?

Old 07-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Jerome LeBanner Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weavil has disabled reputation
Default Which cheap project car?

I'm in the market for another project car since I've lost interest in fixing up another Neon and will be selling it (still keeping my other one for a daily driver). The only thing that is a must is under/around $2000, running, 5 speed, turbo'd from the factory.

For those that own or know about the cars listed I would appreciate it if you would give your opinions, answer my questions. Also which ones out of the ones listed would you pick?

First choice is the older FWD turbo Dodges. They're fast, easy to mod, and are fairly reliable. The only problem is most are located in midwest and northeast and I really don't want to travel to bring back a car.

Second and only other preferred choice is DSM. Fast, Easy to Mod, some w/AWD, etc etc. The only problem is finding one that is currently running, in the area, and in the price range.

Conquest/Starion. These seem like the Dodge, unreliable version of the Silva. RWD, turbo, and decent handling. I've heard people jokingly say if you're gonna buy one you need to buy 2 because they break so much. Is it that bad and is there much of an aftermarket?

Colt/Mirage turbo. Can either be built as 1.6l turbo or swap in a 4G63. Though these cars are few and far between so finding one has been damn near impossible.

Probe GT. It seems like a good platform to start on 2.2 liters, turbo, and 5 speed, but how much of an aftermarket is it for these cars? Are they fairly reliable (ie: won't break after every run)? Any info on these cars would be appreciated.

Impluse/Storm turbo. Another one that seems like a good idea, small hatchback, turbo, and awd, but are these things even worth modding?

Any other cars that would fit my criteria that would be a good choice?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:08 AM
VIP

LSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these parts

a dodge reliant or a chevette
Old 07-30-2003, 09:27 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

well there is a 240sx in the for sale area for $400. you could make that pretty quick for not too much.

why not buy a late 80's camaro, stick a 502 and a 300 shot in it and run 10s?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:37 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

dodge fwd turbo.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Not_Blazin is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a conquest for $900. If i wanted an old old car to hook up i'd get it.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Datsun 280Z Turbo
Old 07-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Jerome LeBanner Fan

weavil has disabled reputation

Originally posted by reuter
well there is a 240sx in the for sale area for $400. you could make that pretty quick for not too much.

why not buy a late 80's camaro, stick a 502 and a 300 shot in it and run 10s?
I'm not interested in doing any type of swap or anything of that nature. I've never owned a turbo car before and would like the "tuning experience." Plus I'd kill myself or get arrested if I had something that was that damn fast.

Originally posted by Skywalker
Datsun 280Z Turbo
I've looked into those, but those are few and far between from what I've seen.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Originally posted by weavil
I've looked into those, but those are few and far between from what I've seen.
You can always find them if you look, especially in VA. But they're all probably rusted out and need some new stock parts (hoses and shit). But you can pick them up cheap and make them really fast for cheap.
Plus if you wanted to make it look nice, new metal and paint and you've got a fast beauty. I intend to restore one eventually.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:19 AM

22reORh22a is an unknown quantity at this point

how about a mazda 323gtx?? factory turbo and awd for under 2g's. cool ass little cars.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:04 PM
//

theJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these partstheJUMPoff is infamous around these parts

Originally posted by Skywalker
Datsun 280Z Turbo
either that or you can buy a 240z and give it to me.

Quick Reply: Which cheap project car?