Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Cars you'd like to see remade

Old 02-03-2015, 08:42 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass
Default Re: Cars you'd like to see remade

Originally Posted by brandini
You can just about buy a 300hp minivan not to make them fast, but for hauling fatties it has to remain reasonable merging on the interstate. You're trying to put the miata in categories it's not being designed to compete in (drag strip). What's the fastest factory (non-kit) car you can buy that's under 2500lbs?
Reasonably priced, probably the Elise/Exige. I'm assuming the Alfa 4c will be under that weight too, and it makes something like 250 horses. I'm not asking for a rocketship here. I'm just asking for something with a little zip so it can be a little fun in the straights as well as the corners.

Originally Posted by jaqattack02
Do you mean the 370Z? You know it weighs less than your Z32 does, right?

That said, all the new cars are so heavy. I was watching a video comparing the ZL1 Camaro to the Challenger Hellcat. The Camaro was 4,000lbs, the Challenger was 4,400. That's just nuts.
I disagree. My Z weighed 3180 lbs before I took anything out of it. That's almost 100 lbs lighter than the lightest 370Z, and it is more of a GT car anyway so it should be heavier. With an LSX and T56, it goes below 3000 lbs even with a full interior. You can save another 50 just by putting in lighter seats, and theres a few other things that can be done. I havent tallied up all the savings but I know it will be fun whenever I get around to getting it done. I'll definitely have to get it weighed.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 AM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Reasonably priced, probably the Elise/Exige. I'm assuming the Alfa 4c will be under that weight too, and it makes something like 250 horses. I'm not asking for a rocketship here. I'm just asking for something with a little zip so it can be a little fun in the straights as well as the corners.
Ah, did you not see that a Miata starts at 20k? NEW
Sure you can get a lotus, but it's WAY less nice inside and rattly as all hell.
And there's the rub, for the price and weight, I don't think anything comes close.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:21 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Haven driven my brother's 175whp M45 NA Miata and a stock NA Miata, nobody will ever convince me that isn't the way they should have come from the factory. It scoots around quite nicely and leaves a permanent smile on your face, but it doesn't have so much power that you spin wheels all the time and it isn't fun any more. The people with naturally aspirated Miatas or Toyoburus who say they don't need more power are almost always poor or jealous faggots who either can't afford the mods, or who just bought a new car and don't want their new purchase playing second fiddle to a faster model. That's all it is, nothing more. When your sports car is losing to factory minivans in a drag race, it's time to re-evaluate things.
Thank you. I was trying to come up with a way to say this and you nailed it. When the thing that makes your car what it is also happens to be the first thing that every enthusiast changes as soon as they buy one then it's not really a tradition. It's a birth defect.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Ah, did you not see that a Miata starts at 20k? NEW
Sure you can get a lotus, but it's WAY less nice inside and rattly as all hell.
And there's the rub, for the price and weight, I don't think anything comes close.
Is that confirmed? I was expecting at least $25k. At $25k I'd wait and get a cheap Elise. The fit and finish is plenty good enough for me and "nice inside" is code for "packed with shit you probably don't really need". Seeing that car and then seeing 150hp is like getting an ice cube to the dick. Like in a bad way.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:45 AM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

Originally Posted by Trunk Impaired
Is that confirmed? I was expecting at least $25k. At $25k I'd wait and get a cheap Elise. The fit and finish is plenty good enough for me and "nice inside" is code for "packed with shit you probably don't really need". Seeing that car and then seeing 150hp is like getting an ice cube to the dick. Like in a bad way.
That's the thing, nowhere has Mazda said 150hp yet... so it may be rumor that got printed and mis-quoted.

Even so, there's a company that makes electric superchargers for the NC and BRZ, pretty impressive results so far.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Registered member

804_mini has disabled reputation

Volvo V70R would be nice. 300 hp awd station wagon makes for a very versatile

Old 02-03-2015, 11:31 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by Trunk Impaired
Thank you. I was trying to come up with a way to say this and you nailed it. When the thing that makes your car what it is also happens to be the first thing that every enthusiast changes as soon as they buy one then it's not really a tradition. It's a birth defect.
I don't know if I'd go that far. Even the 1.5 ND overseas will be a fun little thing and probably a great daily driver. All I'm saying is the option for a faster one would be nice, and it's quite retarded that, that option doesn't exist.

That's the thing, nowhere has Mazda said 150hp yet... so it may be rumor that got printed and mis-quoted.

Even so, there's a company that makes electric superchargers for the NC and BRZ, pretty impressive results so far.
It's a lot easier to check a box at the dealership than it is to buy and install one of those, and to kiss your warranty goodbye.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:36 PM
RiverCitySyn

I get it, but if you check the box, it's not a miata anymore.

I had a mazdaspeed miata, was a shit miata. Also a shit car, but it was a hoot because it was a fight.

But after driving friend's miatas, would rather have a miata. Accessible power is more fun. I already got my reckless ticket in a supra 5 years ago, nobody needs much power.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

Originally Posted by 804_mini
Volvo V70R would be nice. 300 hp awd station wagon makes for a very versatile
[IMG]http://www.swedespeed.com/artman2/uploads/1/v70r_big.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/interior.jpg[/IG]
I love those cars, other than buying parts...haha.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Pearsonii has disabled reputation

Simple fun to drive cars...like AE86, e30s and s13/4/5. The new scion subaru ride is headed in the right direction, but not quite there. Not enough power.