Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Car Security Question

Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 AM
beautiful struggle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quentin has disabled reputation
Default Car Security Question

My Celica got broken into for the second time. They cut the window out, popped the trunk and disconnected the battery to stop my alarm. I have a black widow alarm I put on like 6 years ago. I plan on upgrading my security system but have a few questions. I see there are battery back-ups for alarm, are those universal or do they only work with the same brand the alarm system is? Like will this be able to work on my alarm? Ie, can I make it work?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Directed...&skuId=1721186
I would rather upgrade my alarm, then taking it out and replacing it.

Also anything else you suggest to upgrade my alarm. I plan on getting a hood lock (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Megatronix-Mec.../dp/B000U39REC) and battery back up.

Sorry if this belongs in the tech talk section, but I didn't think it was that technical.
theives!

Last edited by Quentin; 01-19-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:31 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis
Default Re: Car Security Question

I wouldn't have made this in a thread yet contacted the more knowledgeable people themselves via PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 AM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

really... breaking into a celica.

fucking thieves have no taste.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:22 AM
beautiful struggle

Originally Posted by Scoutn757
I wouldn't have made this in a thread yet contacted the more knowledgeable people themselves via PM.
How am I suppose to know who the more knowledgeable people are?
Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

what did they steal each time? whats clearly visible and valuable that someone walking by could spot?

the only thing of any value in my car thats visible is a radar detector and a basic cd player.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 AM
beautiful struggle

First time they didn't steal anything besides the pocket change in my cup holder and an empty bag of no value. 2nd time they took my audio system and jumper cables and my ebay intake (wtf). Both of these happened at a commuter lot, needless to say I wont be parking there anymore. Even though that was by far the easiest way for me to get to work.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

wow, stealing the change in your cup holder. i guess you should consider another lot, or carpooling or something. thats really shitty.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Originally Posted by boredom
wow, stealing the change in your cup holder. i guess you should consider another lot, or carpooling or something. thats really shitty.
It happens. About 5 years ago I had my little sister's bike tied to the top of my explorer, my ford probe was sitting right next to it in the driveway. It was late when we got home so I left it, figuring I'd get it in the morning. Next morning the bike was gone, the change from both center consoles was gone and both cd players were gone. But the left my CD case that had about 80 rock cd's in it. Cops finger printed the car and I heard nothing back. They said the bike probably attracted them, and since they were there....

Fucking theives.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Honestly, I don't think upgrading your alarm is going to prevent future break ins. If they want it, they will get it. And obviously, there is zero security in that lot to stop them. I'd either:

1. Stop using that lot
2. Get a beater
Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Usually you can't just strap another battery of a different type into the same electrical system, because then you have two batteries that are both being charged by your alternator but are different sizes. That's a good recipe for boiling the smaller battery. That's what the little box is for on that link you posted. So that Viper kit is a small battery and a charge controller. I can't really help much more than that; I'm an electronics guy but I'm not a car alarm expert.

Here's more info I just found on that Viper kit, so you can see how it actually works. Pretty cool actually.

http://www.mobiletraxx.com/id131.html

Basically that Viper kit can be used with any brand of alarm it appears, which makes sense. It just goes inline on the power lead to the alarm. Hide it well or you might as well not have it at all. I assume most alarms have that instant trigger input, but I don't really know. That's probably to trigger the alarm if someone disconnects the main vehicle battery.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-19-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Car Security Question