Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Car Dealership - Purchase Advice

Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM
TE37 Hoarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage
Default Re: Car Dealership - Purchase Advice

Originally Posted by 92_SR20
Meh, I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with Carmax ( aside from maybe our Elantra, which we found out was in accident, may or may not have known about it at purchase time ). Every car we've bought from them ( 2011 Hyundai Elantra, 2011 Ford Edge, 2004 Ford Excursion, 2007 Shelby GT500 ) was below KBB/NADA, was clean and wasn't a pressured sale. We ended up selling the Excursion back to them 6-8 months later and we took a negligible loss ( < $1000 ). Compared to the few dealerships we've gone to where:

You pull on to the lot, within 15s someone is in your face. They lurk behind you the entire time you're there. They try to push you up a model even if you have no desire to.

Obviously, there are going to be exceptions. Joe ( Blown ) was a nice guy, answered questions, didn't pressure anyone into anything, etc and gave lots of good general information. But most people are going to try and push you into something nicer/newer so they can make that extra commission. Carmax they all make a flat commission ( $300 according to the last girl that helped us there ), so no matter what you pick Corolla to Corvette - they have no incentive to push you into something you're not looking to go into.
Like I stated you have to find the right one. Some places give dealer ships a bad name, like how you described. Then there are others that don't.

Which CarMax did you work with? Everyone I went to (Dulles and VA Beach) were always over priced, and were under on a trade. Which is why I never deal with them/hate them.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM
±RepLegion

92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20

Originally Posted by slogsr@sage
Like I stated you have to find the right one. Some places give dealer ships a bad name, like how you described. Then there are others that don't.

Which CarMax did you work with? Everyone I went to (Dulles and VA Beach) were always over priced, and were under on a trade. Which is why I never deal with them/hate them.
Fredericksburg. They offered us like $2.5k for the RAM we were looking to sell to them, which was low. We sold it in less than a month for $5.5k private party, but it was older and high mileage. They're pretty picky about trades. If it's something they can sell on their lot ( low mileage, great condition and stock ) they'll make a good offer. If it's something that they're just going to auction they'll lowball the fuck out of you, which is understandable.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

I can't stand that high pressure sales crap. Last car event I was at, there was a faggle who sold Fords giving out cards and trying to push sales on people who weren't even in the market. Next time I see him, I'm telling him to advertise on drag.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 AM
±RepLegion

92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20

Originally Posted by Yardjass
I can't stand that high pressure sales crap. Last car event I was at, there was a faggle who sold Fords giving out cards and trying to push sales on people who weren't even in the market. Next time I see him, I'm telling him to advertise on drag.
Yeah, it just makes people uncomfortable. I understand why they do it, I just think it's no good for the buyer.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

I had a salesman at Hall Acura (VB) who was great. Older guy with 20+ years experience with Chrysler cars. If I asked him a question, and he didn't know the answer…he didn't try to BS me…but rather said "I am unsure but I will find the answer."

That is what I want. We came in like four times, and then he took us over to Hall Honda to look at the new Accords. Never tried to sell us on ANY model.

Fucking Sales Manager at Hall Acura (now back over at the Jeep dealership next door) used the line "Well Acura's are expensive cars" numerous times during negotiation. Finally I told that asshole "Hey, what I put down for my salary is my BASE wage you fuck, and since you have no idea because you aren't our salesman, we are looking at cars TWICE the cost of this particular car."

God damn I have never seen a person shut the fuck up so fast. Our salesman just sat there and smiled.

Point of story: You find some GREAT salesmen, who should be called "Purchase Assistants" because they just want to help you find the car you want. Then there is the stereotypical salesman that doesn't know shit about what he is trying to sell, and is just out to make a buck. Do your research, ask questions they SHOULD know, and see which salesman you have.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 AM
-RepLegion

Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown Blown

There's a couple sales consultants here who will be in your window before you open the door when you park. I avoid that at all costs. I'll sell you anything on the lot and help you find something that covers your needs, but I'll be goddamned if I pressure anyone into buying a car. I make damn good money doing it my way and everyone walks away happy

Old 02-12-2014, 09:12 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Bought my Ford F350 Lariat turbo diesel 4x4 in cash. Flew one-way to Atlanta, then took the bus to the dealership. Manager handed me the keys for a test drive without any questions and no ride-along. Came back with stacks of cash, placed it on his desk. He asked if it was all there, I said it was, he said okay, grabbed the pile and tossed it into a safe behind him then signed over the title.

Easiest purchase ever made.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 AM
TE37 Hoarder

slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage slogsr@sage

Originally Posted by Blown
There's a couple sales consultants here who will be in your window before you open the door when you park. I avoid that at all costs. I'll sell you anything on the lot and help you find something that covers your needs, but I'll be goddamned if I pressure anyone into buying a car. I make damn good money doing it my way and everyone walks away happy

Basically. I had the same style, and I sold more than guys that were there for 10+ years. Its a car salesman's job to help the customer find the right car for them, not pressure them into a car they don't want. A good sales man will listen to your words and will pick up on your preferences to cater to your needs.