Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Car Audio // 2dr civic // Eliminate rattling

Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
johnc has disabled reputation
Lightbulb Car Audio // 2dr civic // Eliminate rattling

Still a work in progress. I've narrowed down the main things that make a trunk rattle in a 99-00 2dr civic. If you know a thing or two contribute.

1.) "Rear dash trim" Rattles in general and is really bad where the 3rd brake light hits the rear window even with all grommets properly fitted. I think...

2.) "License Plate Pocket" solved.
I used the "Rubber Weatherseal" as shown in the pictures and that got rid of 100% of the "License Plate Pocket" rattle. I think caulk would work too if applied properly.

4.) The biggest form of trunk rattle comes from the trunk latch assembly. The two pieces of loosely fitted metal, once hitched, just go to work and produce like 75% of all the trunk rattling. Has ANYONE came up with a solution for this?

5.) The rear bumper cover, no ideas.

6.) "The flap gap hole thing" solved.
Just remove the rubber flap piece. It comes right out. This is that disgusting noise you hear from the back left tire that sounds like a blown sub.

If anyone has any tips please chime in.

Last edited by johnc; 10-29-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Ich liebe Bier

BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin
Default Re: Car Audio // 2dr civic // Eliminate rattling

You might need to give some specs out on what system components you have?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BuiltforSin
You might need to give some specs out on what system components you have?
Everything except for the deck is the latest memphis m-class stuff. door speakers and tweeters, 6x9s, 4channel amp, 1000w amp, two 12's in a custom box built to spec* And not that it matters but i have the avic z120bt head unit and a bunch of other misc bells and whistles.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

Originally Posted by johnc
Note: Dynamat is ugly, does nothing and is a waste of money
More dynamat.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

You know what? This will decimate all... after we put about fifteen grand or more under the trunk lid. If we have to, overnight some parts from Japan.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Jim Conner

ahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these parts

4). move the latches so that they are farther apart. Buy one of the boots that covers them like in the acuras. When you space out the latches they should only latch when the lid is pushed down firmly. I've eliminated all of the trunk rattle in my car i can without custom fabricating a trunk lid. Lemme know if you need help with anything else
Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TiredAcuraDrvr
You know what? This will decimate all... after we put about fifteen grand or more under the trunk lid. If we have to, overnight some parts from Japan.
what parts?

Originally Posted by keefboz
More dynamat.
Waste of a comment.

Originally Posted by ahugg002
4). move the latches so that they are farther apart. Buy one of the boots that covers them like in the acuras. When you space out the latches they should only latch when the lid is pushed down firmly. I've eliminated all of the trunk rattle in my car i can without custom fabricating a trunk lid. Lemme know if you need help with anything else
Not sure what you mean by the boot. I read something about the technique you're referring to with spacing the latch out. I looked at the part that's attached to the lid and it didn't look like it could be adjusted, "height wise". [added pictures] If you could explain how to do it I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by johnc; 10-29-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Jim Conner

ahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these partsahugg002 is infamous around these parts

shit dude didn't realize you were getting that serious with this 'til you put up more pictures. You're like one step away from cementing the whole trunk. To get rid of the flap you gotta do some fabrication i never felt that it made any more rattle in my car but if you do you need to pull it and weld in some sheet metal. My latch had slots instead of just holes for the bolts so I could adjust it, I'd suggest going to a junk yard and pulling one that is adjustable. Are you just going for terminating rattle or increasing SPL as well?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:01 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by johnc
What parts?
Holy fuck. Probably the most quoted line and the guy completely misses it.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by ahugg002
Yep, that's what I've done in the past too. Basically you preload the latch so it can't move freely and rattle.

Oh, if the latch (on the trunklid) is large enough to accept it, you can slit a piece of thin tubing and put it over the shackle where the latch mates to it. How soft the tubing is will affect how well it helps the rattling, but the softer the tubing the more it will tend to get cut through over time. So if you go soft you'll have to replace it a lot, and if it's hard it will last longer but will not cure the rattling as much. I've seen some OEM latch shackles that look to be dip coated in something similar Plasti-Dip, and that seems to work pretty well. So maybe Plasti-Dip would be the easy way to go...?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-28-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Audio // 2dr civic // Eliminate rattling