Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Can anyone recommend Driving schools/courses?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts
Default Can anyone recommend Driving schools/courses?

I'm not looking for driver's improvement classes that give points...

I would like to take a class or receive some kind of instruction that teaches how to react in certain situations... ex: car is oversteering... how to control it or properly counter steer, stuff like that. And learning about the limits of the car.

I know race tracks have stuff like that (HPDEs and flat-out days and what not) but I'd prefer to be in a very open environment that has little to no chance of damaging a vehicle... as I already have done so because of my inexperience.

any suggestions? I'm in Maryland, but I'm willing to travel.. i venture between northern MD and virginia beach.. so anything between there is cool.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Can anyone recommend Driving schools/courses?

Originally Posted by ODU_Lude
I'm not looking for driver's improvement classes that give points...

I would like to take a class or receive some kind of instruction that teaches how to react in certain situations... ex: car is oversteering... how to control it or properly counter steer, stuff like that. And learning about the limits of the car.

I know race tracks have stuff like that (HPDEs and flat-out days and what not) but I'd prefer to be in a very open environment that has little to no chance of damaging a vehicle... as I already have done so because of my inexperience.

any suggestions? I'm in Maryland, but I'm willing to travel.. i venture between northern MD and virginia beach.. so anything between there is cool.

Thanks.
you say that you venture from northern md to vca beach??

thats all the training you need...with all the dumbass drivers on the road
Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Bondurant
Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts

you are correct. Maryland has some of THE worst drivers, EVER. VA seems like a decent place to drive compared...

but i'd prefer not to go drifting or have it break loose on public streets, especially if don't have a lot of seat time in it and have never experienced such situations before...

now what i mean? heheh.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:04 AM
Registered Member

mkhoid has disabled reputation

I second that ahaha.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

some of the autox schools sound like they might be right up your alley. Check NASA and SCCA's webpages for some more information on their autox/solo2 Schools.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:49 AM
Registered Member

D_Eclipse9916 has disabled reputation

Autocross will teach you all the skills you need to learn a car at speeds your going to be at around town and on the highway. Now if your doing 100+ or 80 around long curves on the street then 1) your an idiot 2) grow up.

Autocross will allow you to push the limits, is far more technical (skill buildup is faster than track), allows you to spin out/go off without damaging your vehicle and is cheap. A ridiculous amount of autocross clubs in MD/DC area, all that I list are open to public, do not require membership or require "their type of vehicle" like some porsche events. I would highly suggest NASA autocrosses and Capital Driving Club for a newbie. SCCA is great if your car is "the" car in a class and is prepped well, but the environment (people, culture) is not nearly as fun as NASA and CDC. Youll also never get enough track time, I have been autocrossing for 7 years, and still learn something every time I go out there.

Of Course WDCR-SCCA (washington dc region SCCA)
Capital Driving Club
Autocrossers Inc.
Mercedes Benz Club of Washington
Capital Charter of BMWCCCA
Blue Ridge Region SCCA
VMSC
NASA Mid-A autocross
Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

http://www.insideline.com/features/t....html#virginia
Old 06-20-2010, 05:28 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

FBI
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

I think Car Guys is actually marketed as being for specifically what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend Driving schools/courses?