Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Camera Mount Help & Video Editing

Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 PM
DGAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie
Default Camera Mount Help & Video Editing

I purchased a CruiseCam in-car camera mount. I have it mounted and took some initial video. The mount definitely needs some working with. Sound is pretty good, video is a bit shaky though. Here is a picture of how it is mounted inside the car. This is the first test and I had locked the seatbelt in place and slid the seat forward which helped a bit but the video is still kind of shaky. Anyone have any idea's on how to stabilize it a bit?

Also, can anyone suggest a free video editing program? It doesn't have to be super fancy.. Just enough to edit clips and maybe throw in some text. There is an autocross coming up Sunday and I wanted to try and get everything squared away before then.

Thank You
Old 11-16-2010, 04:46 PM
C.R.E.A.M

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM
Default Re: Camera Mount Help & Video Editing

got a blog breh? get one ASAP!!! other then that,
Old 11-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

With how its hanging like that its gonna be shaky regardless I would think.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:00 PM
DGAF

Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie

Originally Posted by DOOM
got a blog breh? get one ASAP!!! other then that,
No blog, just want some in car of the autox. I see what your getting at though lol.

Originally Posted by TiredAcuraDrvr
With how its hanging like that its gonna be shaky regardless I would think.
The mount itself is real solid.. I am thinking that the shakes might be coming from how unsecured by unsecured the Honda seatbacks are.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Here's what my intuition says:

You've got a camera on a long arm attached to a flexible seat that also reclines. Any motion of the seat is going to be amplified by the arm. The problem is that the seat frame, seat rails, and hinges have too much play in them, and the camera mount is about as far away from the hinges as you can get..

If you can preload the seat against the things that have play in them, that will help with a lot of the seat motion but the seat will still twist and bend under its own weight. That's what you're already doing to a small extent with the seat belt, but you're also restraining the opposite side of the seat and you're trying to stop motion by putting tension on a springy seat cushion.

Try putting a brace between the rear seat and the back of the front seat. This could maybe be as simple as just wedging something of the right length at a roughly 90degree angle to the seat back. You know how stable the seat is when someone is sitting in it, and putting a brace against the back is doing the same thing but in the opposite direction. You might have to play around with where the brace sits on both ends, because a brace against the rear seat cushion may not work any better than the seat belt (unless the brace is putting more force on the seat than the seat belt did). Something to play with though...

You could probably brace from the passenger floor board to the head rest area instead. There are better ways to solve this but I'm trying to think of ways that are as easy to remove and install as the camera mount is.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-16-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Delta Charlie
I am thinking that the shakes might be coming from how unsecured by unsecured the Honda seatbacks are.

Yes. Mostly. That's just a strange way to make a camera mount. It's too bad that the easiest thing to mount a camera to is also the thing with the most movement.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-16-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:13 PM
DGAF

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Yes. Mostly. That's just a strange way to make a camera mount. It's too bad that the easiest thing to mount a camera to is also the thing with the most movement.
I know right.. I figured for 45 bucks it was worth a try though. I had thought about bracing the seat itself, but I don't think the autocross tech would like anything that is not permanently there or could possibly have the chance of coming loose and becoming a hazard inside the car. I am going to give a few of those things a try though.

Might even try to switch it around (It is reversible) to the driver seat since I will have some weight on the back of it. Just not sure how much lower I want it because it is already pretty low.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Racetracks

Driver seat should work a lot better. It's got quick release knobs on it, give it a try and see what happens.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude

I was gonna say driver's seat as well, but what about suction cup window mounts?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Try something like this:

http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/t...re-review.html

Also, a mount closer to the window on the dash is a better bet. The dash is far more stable than the seat, and youre not putting added weight on your rearview mirror like some cameras do when attached from above.

Quick Reply: Camera Mount Help & Video Editing