Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Buying a vehicle at a dealership out of state...worth it or not?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 AM
MARK IT ZERO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout
Default Buying a vehicle at a dealership out of state...worth it or not?

Wife and I burned this past weekend at all the different Honda dealerships in our area, trying to find the right deal on a Pilot.

Long story short, there were a couple "good" deals, but living in Virginia Beach, we're within a few hour drive either direction (to MD or down to NC) to get an even better deal at dealerships in those states.

My question...other than coming back and obviously having to pay the sales tax outright (presumably I just go into DMV to do this?), are there any other steps that would further complicate the deal and make it not really worth doing?

Looking for anyone that's had experience doing it.

Cheers!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: Buying a vehicle at a dealership out of state...worth it or not?

I bought my wifes tsx from a dealership in Jersey. No problems .Dont really need shit for VA, all you really need is the title with a price and info filled out. Just get the bill of sale. I did not pay any extras fees or anything up there, just the price of the car. I had the title notarized just in case since it was out of state and drove home with a transport tag. Registered the car no problem.

as far as warranty stuff I would look into that, make sure you don't have to go back to that specific stealership or something.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 AM
LXRY STI

SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik

If I was ever going to buy out of state I would buy from DE.....no sales tax.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
I bought my wifes tsx from a dealership in Jersey. No problems .Dont really need shit for VA, all you really need is the title with a price and info filled out. Just get the bill of sale. I did not pay any extras fees or anything up there, just the price of the car. I had the title notarized just in case since it was out of state and drove home with a transport tag. Registered the car no problem.

as far as warranty stuff I would look into that, make sure you don't have to go back to that specific stealership or something.
The one in MD is a really really good deal, definitely worth the drive. To make it even more convoluted, we'll be financing it through NFCU, so I don't think I'd ever get the title. Not sure how that'd work in that case...
Originally Posted by SubieChik
If I was ever going to buy out of state I would buy from DE.....no sales tax.
I wonder if that applies to DE residents only, or if anyone buys good in DE they don't have to pay tax. Knowing VA (and more specifically VB, VA) I don't think they'll just let us skate without them reaching their hands in our pockets...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 AM
LXRY STI

SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik SubieChik

Hmm I don't know.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by ufctapout
The one in MD is a really really good deal, definitely worth the drive. To make it even more convoluted, we'll be financing it through NFCU, so I don't think I'd ever get the title. Not sure how that'd work in that case...

I wonder if that applies to DE residents only, or if anyone buys good in DE they don't have to pay tax. Knowing VA (and more specifically VB, VA) I don't think they'll just let us skate without them reaching their hands in our pockets...

Even though you are financing through nfcu, once you sign over the check to the stealership you will still get the title from them. You just hand it over at the dmv when you go to register it. They record the lien holder and send them the title, you wont see it until you pay off the loan. If you were doing it from a dealership in va than they would just do it for you and yea I dont think you would ever see the title, but since its out of state they will have to give you the title. I dont think out of state dealerships will do the registration and title processing and tags for out of state residents.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered member

joelala93 joelala93 joelala93 joelala93 joelala93 joelala93 joelala93 joelala93 joelala93 joelala93 joelala93

Originally Posted by ufctapout

As long as the car stays in Delaware, YES. No tax.

But as soon as you drive it out of state and register it in the state in which you live, you pay taxes based on the rate your home state charges. I ran into the same problem a while back. It's all on the DMV website.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 AM
LXRY STI

Well that's obvious. If I bought a car in DE it would stay registered in DE.....easier when you're military.....and when your inlaws live there lol

Last edited by SubieChik; 01-07-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

The question becomes: what is the other dealer going to do that local ones won't?

Are you military? If so, buy through USAA
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck djyuck

Yeah, you have to pay your own state's taxes. I register my cars in SC ($300 cap to car sales tax). I bought my Mercedes from a MB dealer in Ohio. It was well worth the drive and saved me about $4000 versus other dealers. I put 1000 miles on my search radius for cars.

Quick Reply: Buying a vehicle at a dealership out of state...worth it or not?