Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Buying a new car, need opinions

Old 06-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to behold
Default Buying a new car, need opinions

Alright well I'm selling my eclipse and I got a loan, I'm trying to decide what I want to get.

Requirements:
no older than 2004 (stipulation of the loan)
under $20,000
as close to stock as possible
great performance
gas mileage isn't really a concern

so far I really have my eye on an 04 cobra, pulley upgrade and tune puts it at ~430rwhp, but this is also the most expensive of my options right at 20,000, next I was looking at an 05 gto which is a lot cheaper 15,000 and still a respectable 340-350rwhp stock, i/h/e tune about 375rwhp. Then on the import side an 04 evo VIII, 4 doors, AWD, 15,000 but I'm really afraid to do anything to it, I've already got a bunch of exhaust tickets for my eclipse so I would want to keep the exhaust stock, which really limits upgrades, plus I still need it really reliable. And then an 04 sti, pretty much same as evo. If anyone else has any ideas of cars, or has insight on some of the cars I have listed let me know.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall
Default Re: Buying a new car, need opinions

evo with an electric cutout
I'm only at 300 horse but at 85,000 I've never had a mechanical issue and I'm on stock clutch still, I've never tracked it though.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

iceguyb14 has disabled reputation

how about an srt4?

easily had for under $12k. you can easily push 350whp for under $20k total
Old 06-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

BlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iceguyb14
how about an srt4?

easily had for under $12k. you can easily push 350whp for under $20k total
Yea I was thinking about an srt4, but I'm trying to stay as stock as possible. I mean I could get an 04 civic drop in a built k20 and turbo it for under 20k but I don't want to do that much work, and I don't want to have to worry about something breaking. Plus it's a lot easier to resell a car that's stock.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

How about a focus? They out handle evo's and sti's!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
CAPS LOCK BABY

CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK CAPSLOCK

Originally Posted by Tarzan Bakerada
How about a focus? They out handle evo's and sti's!
I didn't want to say it....................... DONT PUT A EVO WING ON THOUGH BECOUSE ITS TOO MUCH DOWNFORCE
Old 06-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rallen
I didn't want to say it....................... DONT PUT A EVO WING ON THOUGH BECOUSE ITS TOO MUCH DOWNFORCE
lololol focuz ftw
Old 06-13-2009, 11:39 AM
MAGICAL FRIENDSHIP

streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp

Cobra, it might be more expensive but I bet it holds value better then the rest and you will be able to get more power out of it with basic bolt on stuff.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by streetlamp
Cobra, it might be more expensive but I bet it holds value better then the rest and you will be able to get more power out of it with basic bolt on stuff.
Very good point about holding value, something else to think about.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM
f'n bat country son!

DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough

If you have no need for 4 doors and are trying to keep it under 20k, I'd go for an LS2 GTO.

Quick Reply: Buying a new car, need opinions