Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Buying a car on Ebay?

Old 12-05-2004, 10:22 AM
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car on Ebay?

I searched and didn't see any recent threads on this... I was thinking about buying a car on ebay... is this a bad idea? What are some common things I should be asking/looking for from the seller? Any suggestions would be nice
Old 12-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Banned

c1t1d1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car on Ebay?

Before you do anything read up on all ebay scams!!!!!!!!!! If the sell wants to put your money in some kinda of escrow account or anything like that that is supposibly insured dont do it, heres a link http://www.scambusters.org/russian-scams.html

Internet ScamBusters™
By Audri and Jim Lanford
Copyright © 2003 Audri and Jim Lanford.
All rights reserved.
Issue #69

Hi everyone:

Today we have some more Internet ScamBusters Snippets for you. This issue is short since we know that the holidays are fast approaching, and everyone is busy.

First we'll start off with the answer to the single biggest question we get asked right now. We think you'll get a chuckle out of the second snippet, and then we'll show you another very recent eBay scam. Finally, we share three excellent consumer protection resources.

We appreciate your support.

OK, let's get going...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++ Internet ScamBusters Snippets ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

The Single Biggest Question We Are Being Asked Right Now

Whether we're on the radio doing an interview or in our office, there is one question that is comeing up more than any other. It is:

"I'm selling (or buying) a car online, and I just got an international offer, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate."

The answer is simple: no, it's not legitimate.

We know of NO legitimate international car offers -- regardless of whether you're buying or selling a car. But there are hundreds of people who have been scammed.

There are lots of variants, many of which include counterfeit bank checks and money orders.

This scam is not limited to cars. It is used with other vehicles, such as trucks and motorcycles.

Action: Don't sell or buy a car internationally online.

The runner-up for the most common question is also about buying and selling cars. Usually, these scammers are located somewhere in the US.

They want to use a specific escrow company (and they have a long sob story about why this escrow company is the one to use). This too is a scam.

Action: Be very careful, and use the escrow company of your choice, not theirs.

Don't get taken.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:15 AM
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

thanks
Old 12-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Black Z-24 Black Z-24

Anything in the price range of a car or that high of an amount, I tend not to trust anyone. I'd rather touch what I am going to buy before I buy it. You could be buying problems they "forgot" to tell you.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:37 PM
I drive real slow

subaruboy has disabled reputation

my buddy bought a 280zx that was located in i think cali, had it shipped to va, and it was every bit as nice of a car as the ebay description said it was... but just cuz he got a good deal doesn't mean you're going to.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:48 PM
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Originally Posted by subaruboy
just cuz he got a good deal doesn't mean you're going to.
No kidding... that's the part that sucks
Old 12-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Is it Friday yet?

Ghostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the roughGhostrider is a jewel in the rough

I personally wouldn't buy a car without a test drive. But thats just me.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:09 PM
21-PSI

1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts1fastGS is infamous around these parts

I wouldn't buy one with out seeing it and driving it first.
My parents bought a Suburban in Texas, drove there test drove it then purchased it. It was a great deal, but they made sure it was legit before paying.