Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

which brand of gas does your car run best on?

Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TweederSi will become famous soon enough
Default which brand of gas does your car run best on?

ive noticed that my truck runs different depending on which brand of gas i use. i only run 87 in my beater, when i use Wawa i get alot of pinging, exxon and hess is about the same but not as bad as wawa, chervon i dont hear or feel any pinging. Shell gas is great, my truck runs and idles better than any other brand. i ran shell in my truck all the way up from GA to VA, i got like 15 to 20miles more on a tank of gas. cant afford shell gas here, for some dumb reason its higher priced than any other station in VA.

so which brand of gas does your car run best on?

oh and if anyone tell me why Va has such different gas prices from corner to corner? when im traveling most gas stations down south are within 5cents of each other.

Last edited by TweederSi; 05-20-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

Roundabout136 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: which brand of gas does your car run best on?

Shell 93 or BP 93
Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

I always use exxon. I don't know why, but I do when possible.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

elpappy has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Additives in gas are long-term things, there is no way a different additive package is going to make a car run better from tank to tank. The additives have nothing to do with friction. Perhaps after 20K miles, the engine will be slightly cleaner with a different additive package, but it's not going to run better the first time you switch to a gasoline with a different additive package, anymore than thinking the car is running better because you change the brand of motor oil you use.

All cars seem to run better after a wash. Sorry, but people's perception about how well their car is running is extremely subjective and is subject to all kinds of interfering "noise" (weather, humidity, ambient pressure, traffic, etc.) that make subjective judgements extremely unreliable. All the objective data says that gasoline from the same area and time of year is the same from all the brands, except for very minor differences in the additive packages which can't possibly affect the day-to-day running of the car. Those are the facts.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

the one that is the cheapest
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

Originally Posted by elpappy
Additives in gas are long-term things, there is no way a different additive package is going to make a car run better from tank to tank. The additives have nothing to do with friction. Perhaps after 20K miles, the engine will be slightly cleaner with a different additive package, but it's not going to run better the first time you switch to a gasoline with a different additive package, anymore than thinking the car is running better because you change the brand of motor oil you use.

All cars seem to run better after a wash. Sorry, but people's perception about how well their car is running is extremely subjective and is subject to all kinds of interfering "noise" (weather, humidity, ambient pressure, traffic, etc.) that make subjective judgements extremely unreliable. All the objective data says that gasoline from the same area and time of year is the same from all the brands, except for very minor differences in the additive packages which can't possibly affect the day-to-day running of the car. Those are the facts.
could not have said it better myself.

but if you all really want some good information check this site out, i've researched it alot.

toptiergas.com
Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 AM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

Originally Posted by elpappy

I believe we were asking for experience not conjecture.

I use Shell 99% of the time because it just runs better, I get better mpg and performance (I have a ScanGauge and it's confirmed with Shell and Exxon).

I highly recommend a ScanGauge for testing what gas is better in YOUR car and what grade is better as well. I cold weather I got worse mpg wit 89. In the summer wihen the AC is on, 89 keeps me pulling up hills without a downshift and I don't ping at all.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

My wife is a tech and actually did a paper on top tier fuels. Shell and Texaco are the best based on additives, tested fuel quality and personal experience.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 AM
AKA: SHY_GUY

S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy

I always use Shell, there is a station near my job with lowww prices run by an immigrant family. I love that place.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Bath salt trippin'

Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon

Jack Daniels in the accord.

Quick Reply: which brand of gas does your car run best on?