Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BNR 16G vs VF40 any RVA Subarus

Old 07-03-2012, 05:30 AM
HEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan
Default BNR 16G vs VF40 any RVA Subarus

I drive a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, about 100k on it right now AP, Stage 1 91 oct, also with a stage 2 comp clutch. The turbo is starting to make noise's, and there is some shaft play in it. So I am trying to figure out where to go next. I know that I can get a oem for 1,000 dollars or I could get a 16g for 725, but I want something that is reliable to where I can drive my car every day because it is my DD. I would love to get a 16g but I live in rva and the closet tuner that I have looked up was in nova (mach v, or IAG in northen maryland). To me it makes more sense to pay less money and get a bigger turbo but then the tune comes into play and I am still not that comfortable about a e-tune then waiting weeks for a revision while I am riding around in my car. Just looking for some insight from any other Subaru guys out there that have gone through a turbo rebuild, and which route you went and why? I am planning on getting a cnt downpipe and up pipe as while as an avo intercooler, gates racing timing belt but that is down the road going towards august/september. Local subaru guys input would be great.
Thanks chris
Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: BNR 16G vs VF40 any RVA Subarus

If there isn't a good way to get it tuned and you're worried about something different then stock, just get another stock turbo. A used one should be that much. Either go aftermarket and figure out a way to make it work, or get a used stock turbo.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

If you really want to go bigger, and you can do the work yourself (it's plenty easy) buy the bigger turbo. You'll need a set of injectors and more than likely a fuel pump as well. Set a weekend aside to make the trip to whatever shop you decide you want to go with, install the turbo and drive the car there. The car will run with a larger turbo and no tune, but you CANNOT go into boost with it. If you can't keep your foot out of it for a couple days then you really have no business making anything faster than it already is and you need to just put a stock VF turbo back on the car.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Just put a GT35r on it and call it a day
Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

Check up on NASIOC, their are a million and one threads like this.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
HEY

AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan AquaMan

I might just end up getting the vf40 and then upgrading my pipping. Don't want to jump into something that I don't know to much about still, working on understanding tuning as it is. Thanks for all the quick responses.
Chris