Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BMW + Toyota = mkV Supra?

Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired
Default BMW + Toyota = mkV Supra?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...s-chassis.html

While more details are trickling out about the exact details of the tie-up between the German and Japanese auto giants, easily the most exciting news surrounds the cooperation between the two automakers on a combined-effort sports car – especially after the success Toyota has in collaborating with Subaru on the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ.

Easily the most titillating news bite is that the model could be a successor to the Toyota Supra, based on the current BMW 6 Series chassis according to one source.

According to a senior manager at BMW, this cooperation will differ from the Toyota-Subaru plan in that both cars will retain their own character, a strong hint that they may look little alike. According to that BMW source the vehicle, “will be a sustainable sports car with environmentally friendly technology.”

There’s also speculation that the joint project could be a version of the BMW i8, which could lend its powertrain to the Lexus LF-LC concept
*** Below are artist's renderings (obviously nothing official yet) ***

Here's a little bit more info on the monster that could be powering this baby:

The BMW i8 concept plug-in hybrid electric vehicle unveiled at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show has a 7.2 kWh (26 MJ) lithium-ion battery pack that allows an all-electric range of 35 km (22 mi). Its top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (160 mph) and is expected to go from 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 60 mph) in 4.6 seconds. Under normal driving conditions the i8 is expected to deliver 80 mpg-US (2.9 L/100 km; 96 mpg-imp) under the European cycle. A full charge of the battery will take less than 2 hours using 220V.
The i8 combines the electric drive system of the BMW i3, with a 96 kW (129 hp) electric motor located in the front axle powering the front wheels and at the rear is a turbocharged 1.5-liter 3-cylinder gasoline engine producing 164 kW (220 hp) and 300 N·m (220 lbf·ft) of torque. The result is a combined output of 260 kW (349 hp). All four wheels provide regenerative braking. The location of the battery pack in the energy tunnel gives the vehicle a low centre of gravity, enhancing its dynamics. Together with the positioning of the motor and engine over the axles, the result is an optimum 50/50 weight distribution
Cliffs: New Supra could be some sort electric car (like the i8 concept) with a 6 series chassis.

Obviously at this point people can only speculate, but if this is for real what are your thoughts on it?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 AM
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican
Default Re: BMW + Toyota = mkV Supra?

It looks like a grown up 350z.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 AM

Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa Drag Busa

A new Supra and its an electric hybrid, no thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by Drag Busa
A new Supra and its an electric hybrid, no thanks
350hp, 80mpg, 22 mile range all-electric, under 2 hours to a full charge, and a BMW designed chassis. What's not to like about that?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....

350hp just seems underpowered for today's sports cars. And most folks buying a supra are going to want to mod. And for God's sake can we get away from the 350z looking designs. It's getting really old.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Originally Posted by ....AJ....
350hp just seems underpowered for today's sports cars. And most folks buying a supra are going to want to mod. And for God's sake can we get away from the 350z looking designs. It's getting really old.
I'd have to agree, you can get that in a V6 Camaro nowadays. I have to imagine that they'd use a beefed up version, but the key is definitely going to be lightness which makes the chassis selection kind of odd. The 6er isn't exactly a Lotus Exige.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

is the 350 hp gonna stop people from buying it like 200 hp didn't stop people from buying the brz/frs? Nope.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight
Default BMW + Toyota = mkV Supra?

Electric sports cars suck, why can't the make diesel powered sports cars...
Old 07-05-2012, 08:15 AM
300ZX

Winters has disabled reputation

I mean although the power won't match what we've come up to, the manufacturers will most likely start designing sports cars with lightness and nimbleness in mind, like the older sports cars. Especially with the release of the FR-S and BRZ and how much speculation it had received, as well as how much have been sold, aids to that view. Even back when it was just a concept FT86, Mr. K commented on how that is how a sports car should be, lightweight. Looking at many sports cars of today, many have "fattened up". I remember reading somewhere about Mazda and Fiat doing a joint operation, and that the next generation Miata will have a sibling. If I can also remember correctly, I think Mazda is trying to make the next Miata with their benchmark specs, such as 2,200 pounds. Even though the market for sports cars is relatively smaller than for family cars, etc, they impact the manufactures greatly. Maybe they're trying to renew the sports car market and expand its size, or maybe they want to have a flagship model that is a sports car.

Back when they had the old "new supra concept", less and less sports cars were being sold, so the project didn't really become official. IMO the market had opened up along with the economy going up, but also due to manufacturers being able to squeeze the most out of their engines, such as mpg, greatly increased reliability, etc. Seems like they could do it, I mean with the new NSX coming up in a few years, many manufacturers now have increased competition.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

Originally Posted by Winters
I mean although the power won't match what we've come up to, the manufacturers will most likely start designing sports cars with lightness and nimbleness in mind, like the older sports cars. Especially with the release of the FR-S and BRZ and how much speculation it had received, as well as how much have been sold, aids to that view. Even back when it was just a concept FT86, Mr. K commented on how that is how a sports car should be, lightweight. Looking at many sports cars of today, many have "fattened up". I remember reading somewhere about Mazda and Fiat doing a joint operation, and that the next generation Miata will have a sibling. If I can also remember correctly, I think Mazda is trying to make the next Miata with their benchmark specs, such as 2,200 pounds. Even though the market for sports cars is relatively smaller than for family cars, etc, they impact the manufactures greatly. Maybe they're trying to renew the sports car market and expand its size, or maybe they want to have a flagship model that is a sports car.

Back when they had the old "new supra concept", less and less sports cars were being sold, so the project didn't really become official. IMO the market had opened up along with the economy going up, but also due to manufacturers being able to squeeze the most out of their engines, such as mpg, greatly increased reliability, etc. Seems like they could do it, I mean with the new NSX coming up in a few years, many manufacturers now have increased competition.
Drift yourself into a lightpole faggot

Quick Reply: BMW + Toyota = mkV Supra?