Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

The BMW M8 that never was produced.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM
my name is andy.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks
Default The BMW M8 that never was produced.

Very cool read if your familiar or interested in BMW's

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/autoc...es-cabrio.aspx

"I spent last Thursday and Friday at BMW in Munich enjoying an intense technical briefing on the upcoming Mega City Vehicle. The two days of frantic note taking were punctuated by a dinner in the BMW museum.

Before we started scoffing we were given a presentation by BMW design boss Adrian Van Hooydonk.

Even though Von Hooydonk doled out some pretty significant revelations about BMW’s future thinking, his audience was pretty distracted by a 20 year-old car sitting just a few feet away.

Even though the night belonged to the environmentally friendly MCV, BMW had decided to push out the fire-breathing M8 prototype, which had never been seen before in public.

I’m a huge fan of the 8-series (I spent a couple of enjoyable weekends in them in the mid-1990s) and can well remember the magazine rumours about the M8 back in 1990.

However the M8 never saw the showroom, scrapped in the wake of the early 1990’s recession, which coincided with the first real environmental backlash. Back then a V12 and 550bhp was seen as the height of social unacceptability.

In the flesh, the M8 wasn’t a disappointment. The body was extensively modified (who couldn’t love the rear wing vents?) and seemed, under the paint, to have made extensive use of carbon-fibre. It also had very trick wheels with aluminium rims and carbon-fibre spiders.

The interior was trimmed entirely in black suede and sported hard-core race seats. Interestingly, this sole prototype had two different doors: one with a conventional window and one with a fixed window and retractable insert.

Under the bonnet was an extraordinary six-litre V12. Festooned with carbon-fibre, the unit was developed from the 5.6-litre engine used by the rare 850CSi.

Although BMW’s engineers may have learnt much from building this experimental engine, when it came to supplying the unit for the McLaren F1, they started from scratch. Even so, the M8’s motor is genuinely related to the McLaren engine.

Interestingly, while we gazing under the bonnet Peter Ratz, the head engineer for the MCV project, whipped out his iphone and calculated that today BMW could extract the same power from a 2.8-litre straight six with twin turbochargers."
Old 07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk
Default Re: The BMW M8 that never was produced.

sick
Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fiziks
Interestingly, while we gazing under the bonnet Peter Ratz, the head engineer for the MCV project, whipped out his iphone and calculated that today BMW could extract the same power from a 2.8-litre straight six with twin turbochargers."[/I]

And how long would that last and how many people would be having heat issues on track days or dealing with having to idle the car for a bit before shutting down? If they could have done it, then they should have done it with the 335.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Absolutely sick... and it still looks fresh, 20 years later.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 AM
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

Originally Posted by Flite
Absolutely sick... and it still looks fresh, 20 years later.
Probably because it hasnt seen the the light of day (or artifical light for that matter) in twenty years. Best looking BMW ive seen in a looooong time.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by <©>
Probably because it hasnt seen the the light of day (or artifical light for that matter) in twenty years. Best looking BMW ive seen in a looooong time.
I'm refering to the design. It doesn't look dated, even though it's 20 years old.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Eh, it looks exactly like it is from the time period it was from to me.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

thecollegekid is a jewel in the roughthecollegekid is a jewel in the roughthecollegekid is a jewel in the roughthecollegekid is a jewel in the roughthecollegekid is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by marlinspike

And how long would that last and how many people would be having heat issues on track days or dealing with having to idle the car for a bit before shutting down? If they could have done it, then they should have done it with the 335.
Why make the 335 compete with the M3 for hp?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:12 PM
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15

so was this car ridiculously ahead of its time back then?
Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 AM
my name is andy.

Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks

Originally Posted by yanko 15
so was this car ridiculously ahead of its time back then?
In a word.... yes.

500+ hp, carbon fiber body, carbon fiber wheels, and prolly a whole slew of goodies BMW did not mention.

Quick Reply: The BMW M8 that never was produced.