Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

BMW 745 or 545 info

Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM
HHIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite
Default BMW 745 or 545 info

I'm trying to see if anybody has any info on buying used 545 or 745 BMWs. I'm looking at/for either a 5 series or 7 series (I prefer a 7, i or Li is up in the air), 2002 and newer, with the 4.4L V8. I'd be buying used with around 40-60k miles and it would be expected to be our daily driver for my wife. I know from previous experiance that Audis with around 70-80k start having issues. Are there any issues with BMWs? I'd like it to last until about 100k miles. How is the service on these? I don't expect Honda cheap, but I'd rather not spend a small fortune on basic service. Are there any issues to look out for or recalls to check on?

If I get a 7, I'd prefer an Li, but I'm concerned with the length of the car and how well it would fit in my garage. My daughter is the only one to ever go in the back, so I don't really need the Li.

disclaimer: For those who are going to suggest an Audi A8L.... I agree. My wife doesn't like them though and it is going to be her car. The other option that she likes is the S class MB, but I'd rather have the BMW over the Merc. I'd take a previous gen 740Li (E38 right?) too if I could find a deal on one.

Last edited by Flite; 04-27-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk
Default Re: BMW 745 or 545 info

In the past the only thing i really heard people having issues with them over time are some parts composing of the cooling system.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Desolation

Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch

The cooling system problems are with BMW's inline 6.
Talk to Tony, 'moparacker.' He works for Checkered Flag BMW as a tech, and owns a late 90's 745; he'd be able to answer any questions you've got.

EDIT:
Did you mean to type 540i?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 AM
SSHNIPER

THATS FRESH is on a distinguished road

E39 M5 FTW (=
Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 AM
HHIC

Originally Posted by Flinch
The cooling system problems are with BMW's inline 6.
Talk to Tony, 'moparacker.' He works for Checkered Flag BMW as a tech, and owns a late 90's 745; he'd be able to answer any questions you've got.

EDIT:
Did you mean to type 540i?
I meant 545i. And late 90s was 740iL right? I'm looking 2002 and newer.

Originally Posted by THATS FRESH
E39 M5 FTW (=
Yeah.... except it would be my wife's car and I'd rather not deal with the M/// service costs. I want something enjoyable to drive without something that's going to turn into another money pit toy.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Autophobic

CivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud ofCivicDuty has much to be proud of

Both are very solid cars with excellent build quality. Well maintained samples of either car will last you up to and beyond 100k miles, keywords "well maintained". You'll save a lot of money initially with a 5-series, but maintenance costs will run you about the same for both. The only thing that up-kept BMWs in this mileage range have problems with is the automatic transmissions, but those are both rock solid for these two so no worries there.

My recommendations for best values:

2004 545i
2002 745i
Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Desolation

Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch

Originally Posted by Flite
I meant 545i. And late 90s was 740iL right? I'm looking 2002 and newer.
Ah, 545 is the new body style; was thinking about the previous. No idea where I came up with a 745 , but yeah that body style was 740 and 750.

My point being, he drives one and works on them for a living.

EDIT:
Did a search for both on bimmerforums and couldn't really find any info about them; most of the owners are posting about wiper blades and floor mats. But, I did find this:

Transmission "slam" for the 545:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12152

Last edited by Flinch; 04-27-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

I have read this before about the 7 series....

The 02-03 had horrible, horrible transmission problems. We stock the transmission... that's how many we sell. 02-06 also have a bad transmission oil pan and mechatronics. In our shop, we probably do at least 1 trans pan per day. Honestly, they really do spend more time in the shop than on the road. The later years being 07-08 we haven't seen much, but then again they don't have that many miles on them

Electronically, they need programming every other day (not literally) for comfort access, passenger seat mat for airbag, nav, audio, name it.

When we go to BMW school for routine training, it's always a common joke to make fun of the E65/E66 vehicles... do NOT buy one. Buy a CPO'd E60 and avoid 06-07 E90's.

In the end, remember this is BMW's "test" car. The 7 is always the first out with all the new gadgets, and then the 5 gets them, then the 3 and so on. All the best working parts of the 7 make it down to the 3.. usually in better working form than found on the 7.

I looked at a 545 and then the 550 when they were new and drove a few of them. The 550 is a great car compared to the 540's, it is a much better matched drivetrain to the car. The engine is also better tuned and depending on the transmission you get a better shift performance with the automatic. They are night and day difference. I would suggest driving both to see what I am talking about.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
HHIC

Originally Posted by Flinch
Ah, 545 is the new body style; was thinking about the previous. No idea where I came up with a 745 , but yeah that body style was 740 and 750.

My point being, he drives one and works on them for a living.

EDIT:
Did a search for both on bimmerforums and couldn't really find any info about them; most of the owners are posting about wiper blades and floor mats. But, I did find this:

Transmission "slam" for the 545:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12152
Right on, I don't mind the odd service bulletin. Thanks for looking that up. I'm going to start searching around some more. Hopefully I can sell my Pilot sometime soon and pick one up. Hell, I might just pick one up before I sell the Pilot.

If anybody else has any info to share, please do. I've always liked BMWs, but never owned one.

What are some other good places to look online besides that e60.net?

Oh, and if anybody runs across any good deals, please let me know. Preferably in black or white.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:02 PM
HHIC

Originally Posted by BigBake
I have read this before about the 7 series....

The 02-03 had horrible, horrible transmission problems. We stock the transmission... that's how many we sell. 02-06 also have a bad transmission oil pan and mechatronics. In our shop, we probably do at least 1 trans pan per day. Honestly, they really do spend more time in the shop than on the road. The later years being 07-08 we haven't seen much, but then again they don't have that many miles on them

Electronically, they need programming every other day (not literally) for comfort access, passenger seat mat for airbag, nav, audio, name it.

When we go to BMW school for routine training, it's always a common joke to make fun of the E65/E66 vehicles... do NOT buy one. Buy a CPO'd E60 and avoid 06-07 E90's.

In the end, remember this is BMW's "test" car. The 7 is always the first out with all the new gadgets, and then the 5 gets them, then the 3 and so on. All the best working parts of the 7 make it down to the 3.. usually in better working form than found on the 7.

I looked at a 545 and then the 550 when they were new and drove a few of them. The 550 is a great car compared to the 540's, it is a much better matched drivetrain to the car. The engine is also better tuned and depending on the transmission you get a better shift performance with the automatic. They are night and day difference. I would suggest driving both to see what I am talking about.
Thanks. We're talking about the 7 series potentially being overkill again anyway. I think we might end up looking harder at the 5 series.

Quick Reply: BMW 745 or 545 info