Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Bill to Restrict Hobbyist Inoperable Vehicles

Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
JaySFab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jays01 jays01 jays01 jays01 jays01 jays01 jays01 jays01 jays01 jays01 jays01
Default Bill to Restrict Hobbyist Inoperable Vehicles

Bill to Restrict Hobbyist Inoperable Vehicles
Introduced in Virginia

In 2004, Virginia signed into law a bill to limit the ability of local areas to implement restrictive ordinances preventing automobile collectors from pursuing their hobby. Under the law, at least TWO inoperable vehicles (or more, if a locality permits) being actively repaired or restored on private property would be exempted from any local ordinance if shielded or screened from public view. The law defines “shielded or screened from view” as not visible by someone standing at ground level from outside of the property on which the inoperable vehicles are located.

This year, legislation (A.B. 2570) has been introduced to allow the City of Newport News to change the rules of this fairly negotiated compromise. Under the bill, the city can adopt an ordinance prohibiting any person from keeping more than ONE inoperable motor vehicle on private property except within a fully enclosed building. Further, the bill requires that the one vehicle now be shielded from view by the “installation of an opaque fence.”

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the House Committee on Counties, Cities and Towns, Subcommittee 1 (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to A.B. 2570

For those interested in attending the hearing to show your opposition, the subcommittee will meet tomorrow, Wed., Feb. 4 at 7:30 a.m. at the following address:

House Room D, General Assembly Building
Richmond, VA

A.B. 2570 reneges on the fair compromise negotiated in 2004. The current law provides safeguards for hobbyists to maintain and work on valuable collector vehicles on private property; establishes reasonable provisions that vehicles be shielded or screened from public view and demonstrated a real effort by legislators and hobbyists to enact reasonable and fair compromise legislation.

A.B. 2570 would only apply to Newport News if the bill is enacted, but would likely be applied to other localities in years to come.

A.B. 2570 ignores the fact that many individuals rely on the ability to repair their own vehicles, as they cannot afford to pay for repairs any other way.

A.B. 2570 ignores the fact that Virginia is home to thousands of car hobbyists whose families indulge in the past time of classic car restoration. These people take vehicles which were previously unusable and restore them to fine examples of America’s automotive heritage. These vehicles are displayed at city and county fairs and festivals across the state as well as charity fundraisers.

A.B. 2570 ignores the fact that other code sections address the issue of junkyards. In fact, those who do not keep vehicles out of public view will suffer the consequences of fines and confiscation of their vehicles. Owners of junk vehicles that are neighborhood eyesores will continue to be prosecuted.
House Committee on Counties, Cities and Towns, Subcommittee 1

Delegate Anne Crockett-Stark – Chairman
Phone: 804/698-1006
Email: DelACrockett-Stark@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Robert Marshall
Phone: 804/698-1013
Email: DelBMarshall@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Robert Orrock
Phone: 804/698-1054
Email: DelBOrrock@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Salvatore Iaquinto
Phone: 804/698-1084
Email: DelSIaquinto@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Charles Poindexter
Phone: 804/698-1009
Email: DelCPoindexter@house.virginia.gov

Delegate James Massie
Phone: 804/698-1072
Email: DelJMassie@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Franklin Hall
Phone: 804/698-1069
Email: DelFHall@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Charles Caputo
Phone: 804/698-1067
Email: DelCCaputo@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Albert Pollard
Phone: 804/698-1099
Email: DelAPollard@house.virginia.gov

Delegate Delores McQuinn
Phone: 804/698-1070
Email: DelDMcQuinn@house.virginia.gov
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Bro'd Out

Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito
Default Re: Bill to Restrict Hobbyist Inoperable Vehicles

so you can't have tons of shitty cars sitting around, what's wrong with that?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Originally Posted by Tito
Damn you so fast and smart. If it is a true hobby and the cars are decent, you have nothing to worrry about, cuz they are probably fenced in or behind four walls anyway.

Dumb thread.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Originally Posted by Tito
All that needs to be said.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Registered member

.eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric.

Damn, so 75% of Newport News will not be allowed to own a vehicle.

I guess that's good news for HRT. More revenue.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Eh, if you are truely restoring a car that is worth a fuck.
A) People aren't going to give you shit They will just say... wait, is that a grand national, supra, itr, splitwindow corvette, studabaker?
B) I have two cars sittting currently with no motors. I tend to keep all body panels on the vehicles and I tend to keep plates fresh on them aswell.

I have NO problem with this bill being passed.

You have to look at it as far as a house value goes.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Registered member

.eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric.

Originally Posted by Jarrod
They will just say... wait, is that a grand national, supra, itr, splitwindow corvette, studabaker?
We're talking about NN here.

IT would be more like, "wait, dat dere iz a donk, bubble, box, Escalade, 300M, Expedition, Navigator, stolen Honda Civic from Virginia Beach/Chesapeake,Portsmouth".....
Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Inglip 2012

WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner

I'm not in the Jurisdiction, but I'd support this if it were in my area.

I don't have any crappy old cars lying around on my property, but the government shouldn't have any more say on what you keep on your property than they already do.

First this, then constant inspections to keep people from doing their own repairs, or some other awful thing. The government doesn't like DIY because it's hard to regulate and keep track of, and they'll stomp it out any way they can.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh

A) People aren't going to give you shit They will just say... wait, is that a grand national, supra, itr, splitwindow corvette, studabaker?
B) I have two cars sittting currently with no motors. I tend to keep all body panels on the vehicles and I tend to keep plates fresh on them aswell.

I have NO problem with this bill being passed.

You have to look at it as far as a house value goes.
you would still be breaking the law seeing as they don't operate

Originally Posted by WanganRunner
I'm not in the Jurisdiction, but I'd support this if it were in my area.

I don't have any crappy old cars lying around on my property, but the government shouldn't have any more say on what you keep on your property than they already do.

First this, then constant inspections to keep people from doing their own repairs, or some other awful thing. The government doesn't like DIY because it's hard to regulate and keep track of, and they'll stomp it out any way they can.
i agree.... they don't need any more say in what you can or can't have on your private property. at least put in something in allowing car covers....
Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Hoping that the very obvious unintended consequences of a law won't occur is a bad way to go about making legislation.

These kinds of "nose in your business" laws are what housing associations are for. You're free to form one. Why should we criminalize innocent behavior?

Last edited by marlinspike; 02-04-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Bill to Restrict Hobbyist Inoperable Vehicles