Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Beware of craiglist scams!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbowho is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Beware of craiglist scams!!!

Ok so it turns out this has happened to other people and I wanted to make sure you guys are aware of this.

Here is the story:

I posted an ad on Craig list looking for a roommate. 2 days letter I get an email form a yahoo.co.uk email address, a girl named Tracy said she was about to move to the states and was very interested in the room, so interested that she would send me a deposit for the room. While it sounded fishy I told her it was fine. the next day I get another email saying that a cashiers check was sent by her people in the amount of $3800, I also got an email stating that I was to deposit the check into my personal bank account and take out the money for the rent and whatever deposit was needed to secure the room and send the rest via western union to a travel agency in Atlanta so that "Tracy" can come to the states.

I took the check to the bank that issued it: bank of America instead of my bank. There they told me that is was a fake and that I wasn’t the first person that had this happened to.

So be aware of this because it has happened on other things too, like cars and others goods.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie
Default Re: Beware of craiglist scams!!!

Originally Posted by turbowho
Ok so it turns out this has happened to other people and I wanted to make sure you guys are aware of this.

Here is the story:

I posted an ad on Craig list looking for a roommate. 2 days letter I get an email form a yahoo.co.uk email address, a girl named Tracy said she was about to move to the states and was very interested in the room, so interested that she would send me a deposit for the room. While it sounded fishy I told her it was fine. the next day I get another email saying that a cashiers check was sent by her people in the amount of $3800, I also got an email stating that I was to deposit the check into my personal bank account and take out the money for the rent and whatever deposit was needed to secure the room and send the rest via western union to a travel agency in Atlanta so that "Tracy" can come to the states.

I took the check to the bank that issued it: bank of America instead of my bank. There they told me that is was a fake and that I wasn’t the first person that had this happened to.

So be aware of this because it has happened on other things too, like cars and others goods.

Old internet scam with a new twist.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:32 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Welcome to teh intarweb.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:31 AM
ROOя

O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly?

isnt this on honda-tech on the forsale sticky?
sucks
Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

happened on auto trader to my cuz
Old 12-31-2006, 11:25 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

Who the fuck deposits a check and then sends money back? Even before the interwebs this made no sense.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:29 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

on autotrader it said that for 19k he would buy the gti for his cliet. send a check for 28k and we were to take 19k out and send the rest via WU for the shipping.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

joshuaa3 has disabled reputation

they are called 419 scams and mostly run by nigerians. they even got a pop video called i go chop your dollar singing about ithttp://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=...s%26ei%3DUTF-8

theres also a website called 419 eater where people play jokes on the scammer, or do a search for p p powerbook
Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by joshuaa3
they are called 419 scams and mostly run by nigerians. they even got a pop video called i go chop your dollar singing about ithttp://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=...s%26ei%3DUTF-8
Hahaha

"You are the loser, I am the winner"
Old 12-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

Originally Posted by hondakidn06
on autotrader it said that for 19k he would buy the gti for his cliet. send a check for 28k and we were to take 19k out and send the rest via WU for the shipping.
no offense but if you fell for that you are a fuckin idot.

Quick Reply: Beware of craiglist scams!!!