Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Best procedure/process/materials for painting a roll cage/race car interior?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Best procedure/process/materials for painting a roll cage/race car interior?

What's the easiest thing to do for a race car? Would just want gloss white.... single stage out of a spray gun? Base/clear job? Spraypaint w/ epoxy paint type of product? Primer first? etc. etc.?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Re: Best procedure/process/materials for painting a roll cage/race car interior?

Suede... EVERYTHING.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: Best procedure/process/materials for painting a roll cage/race car interior?

I was thinking whale penis leather.... on everything of course.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Whale penis/alligator.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE

and cover it with snake sperm to give it that shiny coat.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Fanboi

Ok... no more bullcrappery... seriousness from this point forward please.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Function > Form

Well, I don't know much but like any paint job, prep is very important. I think with a cage, primer is optional but since you're, well... you, it's probably something to incorporate as it would hold up and look better.

So far I've read that stainless steel pigmented polyurethane works great and is very durable. Also, this may be something to look in to:

I used acrylic enamel on my roll cage this last time. It is the best stuff Ive used to date. It is VERY durable. It withstands crawling in and out of the car and doesnt scratch, smudge, chip or even loose its shine. The only thing you must watch out for is the metal part of the seat belt. If you hit the buckle on the bar 'just' right it can chip it, like a rock chip on your car. But, you can also go back in and re-paint that area and it matches perfectly and blends in.

Here is what I bought from English Color:
PPG Delstar DAR Acrylic Enamel
PPG Delstar DTR602 Acrylic Enamel Reducer
Advantage 200 wet look acrylic enamel hardener

Mix 8 parts DAR, 6 parts DTR602, 1 part hardener and spray it on.

I sprayed it out of a Preval set-up. I just bought one complete Preval, with glass jar and spray canister, and then I bought about 5 more spray canisters. I got them at HomeDepot, cheapest place Ive seen them.

I got my paint matched to my interior color. They can match it to anything you bring in.
Hope that helps.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:10 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Ok... no more bullcrappery... seriousness from this point forward please.
One thing I learned the hard way is that to many coats of paint, whether it's primer or color or the combination could affect the roll cage inspection. IF your cage is subject to a chassis certification, the inspector has a device that measures the wall thickness of the tubing and the density of the steel used...works like an x-ray. Multiple coats of paint can interfere with the reading causing it to fail the inspection.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
One thing I learned the hard way is that to many coats of paint, whether it's primer or color or the combination could affect the roll cage inspection. IF your cage is subject to a chassis certification, the inspector has a device that measures the wall thickness of the tubing and the density of the steel used...works like an x-ray. Multiple coats of paint can interfere with the reading causing it to fail the inspection.
Really? That's crazy...you would think they would have a lot of complaints about that and fixed it by now....but
Old 05-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That's usually a type of specialty ultrasound. The way those thickness gauges work is by measuring the impedance mismatch between the steel and the air. It travels through the steel, reflects off of the interface between the steel and air, and returns to the instrument, and the phase shift and/or travel time is measured to calculate the thickness.

Layers of paint of different polymer density or with different types of filler/pigment can cause problems because of the impedance differences too, which is why that can interfere with the wall thickness readings. The way I understand it, the big problem is mostly the overall thickness of the paint, not that there are multiple layers. Multiple layers usually just mean a lot of overall paint buildup...

On a loosely related side note, the early (higher powered) medical ultrasounds would have to be moved around constantly. If you were scanning on someone's torso, and the ultrasound probe was held in one spot, you could burn someone's back (the other side of the torso). The impedance mismatch creates a lot of power dissipation where the skin meets the air. I used to work at a sonar company for an engineer who was a medical ultrasound pioneer, I have lots of interesting trivia rattling around..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-20-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Best procedure/process/materials for painting a roll cage/race car interior?