Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

best b-series turbo swap?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 AM
hangin and bangin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dsmpsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best b-series turbo swap?

plan to swap my car soon would like to go k but cant afford that right now.,so b it is...just kind of looking for some opinions based on experience as to what would be the best stock block b series turbo swap....
Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts
Default Re: best b-series turbo swap?

Whatever you do, I recommend the B16 head. Those have ridiculous flow and are great for turbo applications.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 AM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

Originally Posted by dsmpsi
plan to swap my car soon would like to go k but cant afford that right now.,so b it is...just kind of looking for some opinions based on experience as to what would be the best stock block b series turbo swap....
most people are gonna say choose an ls mainly because it has lower compression than vtec motors. but then again, there's nothing like vtec on boost
Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
hangin and bangin

dsmpsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4dr vtec
most people are gonna say choose an ls mainly because it has lower compression than vtec motors. but then again, there's nothing like vtec on boost
yeah,ive ridden in several gsr turboed cars that were reliable and put out good numbers but ive also seen a few b20's turboed that did the same...so many choices..i mainly just want reliabilty and longevity in whatever i decide to do
Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt

If you go ls, ill have a swap up for sale soon for cheap. Im going to the salvage auctions weekly now. (But im not going to lie, a b18c1 is much better, although youll pay twice as much)
Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 PM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
Whatever you do, I recommend the B16 head. Those have ridiculous flow and are great for turbo applications.
I take back my previous statement. I found the bench test I was looking for which speaks for itself in terms of head flow.

Here is a killer honda engine calculator.
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...c/compcalc.php

Using that you can see that the B18 head has a combustion chamber volume of 41.6cc. The B16 volume is 42.7cc, which I would assume means the B18 will have a higher compression ratio.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 AM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

I take back my previous statement. I found the bench test I was looking for which speaks for itself in terms of head flow.

Here is a killer honda engine calculator.
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...c/compcalc.php

Using that you can see that the B18 head has a combustion chamber volume of 41.6cc. The B16 volume is 42.7cc, which I would assume means the B18 will have a higher compression ratio.
but wouldn't you want lower compression? i know we're talking vtec heads here, but you'd want lower compression for the same reason you use low compression rods and pistons, correct?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 AM
1.6L Elitist

but wouldn't you want lower compression? i know we're talking vtec heads here, but you'd want lower compression for the same reason you use low compression rods and pistons, correct?
Please note, all my comments are "vtec excluded" since I do not claim to know shit about it
I was not stating that the B18 head was better or worse because it had a higher compression ratio, but rather just making a statement. You do not necessarily need lower compression when turbo'ing a motor. The lower compression allows a greater "safety net" in your tune and higher boost levels, but I know many people with 10:1 compression that make plenty of power w/ boost.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:30 AM
formerly Black_Man

Please note, all my comments are "vtec excluded" since I do not claim to know shit about it
I was not stating that the B18 head was better or worse because it had a higher compression ratio, but rather just making a statement. You do not necessarily need lower compression when turbo'ing a motor. The lower compression allows a greater "safety net" in your tune and higher boost levels, but I know many people with 10:1 compression that make plenty of power w/ boost.
i see what you're saying, i only brought that up because the op said he wanted reliability in his boosted application
Old 06-24-2008, 09:32 AM
1.6L Elitist

i see what you're saying, i only brought that up because the op said he wanted reliability in his boosted application
You can reliably boost a 10:1 or so compression car. My friend has run 9 lbs on a 2876 (257 rwhp) for over a year now. Reliability in a turbo car is highly dependent on how good of a tuner you are.

Quick Reply: best b-series turbo swap?