Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Best 3.5" and 4x6 speakers?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Best 3.5" and 4x6 speakers?

Yes, I know, using a Nak CD400's built in amp going to 2 3.5" and 2 4"x6" speakers isn't exactly an audiophile system, but it does sound fairly decent, and there's no reason to have it sounding something less than its best.

In the car now are Alpine S Series speakers. The right rear (4"x6") is blown (makes a lot of vibrating noises when there is the even a tiny amount of bass). Should I just replace it with another one of the same, or are there speakers available in 3.5" and 4"x6" better than the Alpine S Series by enough to be worth changing all of them?

Any local store recommendations?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 PM
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin
Default Re: Best 3.5" and 4x6 speakers?

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Yes, I know, using a Nak CD400's built in amp going to 2 3.5" and 2 4"x6" speakers isn't exactly an audiophile system, but it does sound fairly decent, and there's no reason to have it sounding something less than its best.

In the car now are Alpine S Series speakers. The right rear (4"x6") is blown (makes a lot of vibrating noises when there is the even a tiny amount of bass). Should I just replace it with another one of the same, or are there speakers available in 3.5" and 4"x6" better than the Alpine S Series by enough to be worth changing all of them?

Any local store recommendations?
I've yet to find any 4x6 or 3.5's that are worth a damn... Best to stick with what you know... my GN still has 4x6 and 3.5's..... I've been through just about every brand I could think of and they all sucked... just some less than others....
Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Did you try the Infinity Kappas? Those are the only ones where what I've heard makes me think they might be better than the Alpine S.

Honestly my setup doesn't sound terrible. Maybe it's because of how the speakers are staged against the windshield I don't know. It sounds way better than my brother's e39 BMW, and while those aren't known for good sound systems you'd think with 10 speakers he'd have the better sound.

Last edited by marlinspike; 02-04-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin

Did you try the Infinity Kappas? Those are the only ones where what I've heard makes me think it might be better than the Alpine S.
I think that's what I ended up keeping... They were about the best I found... The good thing about these speaker sizes is that, even the Infinity's are cheap in comparison to "real" sized speakers... lulz...

What are you putting this in? I'm probably not the best source for comparison, since my car has absolutely terrible speaker placement.... Most people buy the 4x6 to 6x7 adapters and go that route.....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 PM
ATGATT

It's my 1985 Benz S-Class. I don't want to do an adapter route because I don't want to cut up my stuff.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:10 PM
FckYoCouch

It's my 1985 Benz S-Class. I don't want to do an adapter route because I don't want to cut up my stuff.
crap... I misspoke... I've got 4x10's in the rear... adapters are for those.... my bad...

So I'd stick with the Infinity's..... maybe attach a baffle to the rears to help tighten up the sound.....

Last edited by rtcarlin; 02-04-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by NotaMonte
Check Crutchfield... no cutting involved. it's a bracket that uses the existing mounting hardware... helps if you, like me, have a small rear dash.....
Oh, well, with the 4x6 in my rear deck there is no room to spare. It's not a matter of just adapting to the mounting holes.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
FckYoCouch

Originally Posted by NotaMonte
crap... I misspoke... I've got 4x10's in the rear... adapters are for those.... my bad...

So I'd stick with the Infinity's..... maybe attach a baffle to the rears to help tighten up the sound.....
I had to edit my earlier post.... oops....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM
ATGATT

Do you think the Infinity speakers are better than the Alpine S by enough to be worth the $90 more that it would cost (because I'd have to replace the fronts too if I go with the Infinity)?

How would you describe the sound of the Infinity? I'm worried they might sound metallic.

Last edited by marlinspike; 02-04-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
FckYoCouch

The Kappa 3.5's are definately worth the improvement, IMO... they're about as good as you're going to get from that size... BUT... if cash is an issue right now, and your current 3.5's are still working, I'd just buy the 4x6's for now and see what you think...

Definintly worth the $$ for the Inifinty's though...

Quick Reply: Best 3.5" and 4x6 speakers?