Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Automatic cars on tracks?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 PM
pissedoffpopularkids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kidcivicEx kidcivicEx kidcivicEx kidcivicEx
Default Automatic cars on tracks?

INB4 flame. I drive a Honda. Its a daily & respected not "riced" or whatever. I'm in Highschool.

Do people ever drive automatic cars on race tracks? Would it being automatic hinder cornering & add more breaking ? or would you " down shift the car ,like from "D4" to "D3" to keep revs high before entering a turn? (Not sure if that would be bad or not in its own aspect.) All in all I plan to build a car to corner with ( not drift )for fun, whether it be ff, rwd, and im sure it will be Manual in the end, just curious about automatic cars.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi
Default Re: Automatic cars on tracks?

Idk the corners in Wal*Mart parking lots are tricky...sure your up to it?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM
pissedoffpopularkids

They are pretty tricky, might need more practice.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

There is nothing wrong with shifting an automatic transmission. It just sucks that the auto tranny robs so much of the little bit of power away from the wheels. Auto hondas are pretty damn slow, so if you mess up expect to take half the track to build your momentum back up. I have put an auto civic in a 4 wheel drift through a corner and used D2/3 to keep the revs up and have some decent corner exit power. All about momentum to drive a slow car fast. It's just really annoying trying to keep the revs up.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:19 PM
pissedoffpopularkids

Originally Posted by The real Ryan
There is nothing wrong with shifting an automatic transmission. It just sucks that the auto tranny robs so much of the little bit of power away from the wheels. Auto hondas are pretty damn slow, so if you mess up expect to take half the track to build your momentum back up. I have put an auto civic in a 4 wheel drift through a corner and used D2/3 to keep the revs up and have some decent corner exit power. All about momentum to drive a slow car fast. It's just really annoying trying to keep the revs up.
Ahh thanks , assuming that car had suspension equip. , what would be needed as far as they go? lowered, toe allignment ( reduce camber )

Last edited by kidcivicEx; 05-18-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kidcivicEx
Ahh thanks , assuming that car had suspension mods, what would be needed as far as they go? lowered, toe allignment ( reduce camber )
This was just a pos car lowered on some typical shitty suspension. The owner just wanted to see what it could do. You as the driver will be the most effective mod you have. Lowering a car will be a huge improvment but make sure you leave yourself some suspension travel so it stays functional. Being slammed to the ground with no suspension travel is less effective than a 2" drop with plenty of suspension travel left. But as far as alignment settings ect., it all depends on what you are doing with it. What is the avg speed of the track you are on, ect. Circle track or road course. But generally you don't want to stray too far from the factory alignment specs. Worry about all that once you know what you are doing behind the wheel on a race track.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Oh... I'm staying out of this one. LOL...
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Automatics are for women, old people, and Mercedes drivers.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 PM
pissedoffpopularkids

Originally Posted by The real Ryan
This was just a pos car lowered on some typical shitty suspension. The owner just wanted to see what it could do. You as the driver will be the most effective mod you have. Lowering a car will be a huge improvment but make sure you leave yourself some suspension travel so it stays functional. Being slammed to the ground with no suspension travel is less effective than a 2" drop with plenty of suspension travel left. But as far as alignment settings ect., it all depends on what you are doing with it. What is the avg speed of the track you are on, ect. Circle track or road course. But generally you don't want to stray too far from the factory alignment specs. Worry about all that once you know what you are doing behind the wheel on a race track.
Oh i see, well if I end up adding to the civic Ill save & buy a worthy suspention kit, yeah the benifit from the slammed cars dosnt seem great but lowering prevents roll or over steer i think ? & I was thinking more road course, & only courses cause the streets is not the place for it.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 PM
pissedoffpopularkids

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Oh... I'm staying out of this one. LOL...
I don't mind, help if you can help , have a good time if you want to joke, its all fun .

Quick Reply: Automatic cars on tracks?