Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

ATTN V8 GUYS!!! I'de like a little information on LT-1's

Old 11-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Luxury = Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty
Question ATTN V8 GUYS!!! I'de like a little information on LT-1's

I'm looking to get a 95-96 LT1 out of a camaro f-bird or trans am.
I hear these are great engines. Just a few q's

Hows maintenace, how much does a mild cam cost and what am I expected to gain from it?

Max nitrous shot on stock. Not a ricer question i'm very serious.

And anyone know wheere I can buy one?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

IDLOOK2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ATTN V8 GUYS!!! I'de like a little information on LT-1's

why dont you just go with an LS1 ?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 PM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

maintenance: cheapish but predictable (optispark, O2s, etc)
mild cam: depends, around 250-300... gains depend on tuning, but 40+ with a stock tune is easy. don't go mild though, you will probably regret it. LT1 cam installs hurt.

the LT1 is iron block and iron heads, and i personally know a couple guys from home pushing 100 shots day in and day out.

LT1s are super cheap now since they're all around 10 years old. auto trader has tons of private party sales, and there are a few up on EFA right now. i believe the URL is www.fbodycentral.com then navigate to the "for sale" section.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Company Man

LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE LoWPRoFiLE

Originally Posted by IDLOOK2
why dont you just go with an LS1 ?
Why don't you become a productive poster or leave?

Originally Posted by Royalty
I'm looking to get a 95-96 LT1 out of a camaro f-bird or trans am.
I hear these are great engines. Just a few q's

Hows maintenace, how much does a mild cam cost and what am I expected to gain from it?

Max nitrous shot on stock. Not a ricer question i'm very serious.

And anyone know wheere I can buy one?
My EGR sylonoid went out a month ago. I had to replace the exhaust when I bought the car because the original had an exhaust hole.

Cam costs 150-250 dollars. You can see hundreds of HP depending on what cam you get. I think people use 100-150 stock. I wouldn't juice a 10 y/o car though.

You can buy one anywhere. They're more popular in our neighboring states than in VA.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty

Rally red and lowprofile thank you soo much.

So no mild cam? Becase it costs teh same as a more agressive cam? Or just leave it stock being that it may cost a pretty penny to install one.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Banned

IDLOOK2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LoWPRoFiLE
Why don't you become a productive poster or leave?

My EGR sylonoid went out a month ago. I had to replace the exhaust when I bought the car because the original had an exhaust hole.

Cam costs 150-250 dollars. You can see hundreds of HP depending on what cam you get. I think people use 100-150 stock. I wouldn't juice a 10 y/o car though.

You can buy one anywhere. They're more popular in our neighboring states than in VA.
hahahaha how bout you just calm it down a little bit...it was a question --- and for your information i have a friend who is sellin a 98(i think) camaro z28 ls1 if you want more info on it and stop bein a dick PM me or somethin
Old 11-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Luxury = Love

Originally Posted by IDLOOK2
hahahaha how bout you just calm it down a little bit...it was a question --- and for your information i have a friend who is sellin a 98(i think) camaro z28 ls1 if you want more info on it and stop bein a dick PM me or somethin
sweet
Old 11-21-2005, 04:10 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

What are you trying to do? Stock heads need a big cam to make power. Better flowing heads can make great power on a smaller cam. Nick Reuter made 410whp with ported heads and a fairly big cam on a 130k mile shortblock.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:20 PM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

i don't own a V8 f-body, but the rule that prevails is always to go a step farther than you're thinking, unless there is an obvious barrier (like piston to valve clearance, etc)... especially with something as tedious as a cam install. you will almost always want more than what you got, like a reverse buyer's remorse.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

If you want to build an LT1, you need to talk to Joe Overton. Period. If you just wanna throw a cam in a stock car and drive it, IIRC the fastest cam only LT1's are all running CC306's. That cam, coupled with some good headers (dont know how good you can get with the space in your engine bay), and the other boltons and a great tune will get you 350-360whp. That should be good for killer times (it's gone 11.5@115 IIRC in a 3500+lb f body)

Quick Reply: ATTN V8 GUYS!!! I'de like a little information on LT-1's