Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Any of you cheap bastards use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: Any of you cheap bastards use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

I want verification that this thing is a piece of shit garbage cuntbag before I discard it. Just because it's made in China and sold via eBay doesn't automatically = garbage.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
N2OWNED

99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula
Default Re: Any of you cheap bastards use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

I think I may have a brand new stock LS2 flywheel in the garage. If I can find it, and it will help you, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping just to get it the fuck out of my garage. If you're only turning 6800, I don't see the problem with the stock GM stuff.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 AM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Any idea how I can find how makes the F1 racing stuff? I know all brake rotors are basically made at a handful of foundries.
I looked around a bit. Couldn't find a definite answer. Most reviews are showing clutch/ spring failures but no mention of flywheel issues. Maybe contact them directly..

http://f1racingclutchsystem.com/contact.html
Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 AM
stupidity, no limits

thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam thenameskam

Any idea how I can find how makes the F1 racing stuff? I know all brake rotors are basically made at a handful of foundries.
Pretty sure grip force? don't quote me though, I'm just going off the fact that you can buy f1 racing single parts from there that f1 racing doesn't even have on there own site, and they have every brand of f1 posted on there website with grip force products as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Hence the whole point of this post... trying to find people who've actually used the product or know someone who has
I hear you on this, there is way too much "I read that they were junk..." threads on every car forum. I've run into the same problem myself on several things. It sounds like you are either going to have to take a gamble or play it safe.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by 99formula
I think I may have a brand new stock LS2 flywheel in the garage. If I can find it, and it will help you, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping just to get it the fuck out of my garage. If you're only turning 6800, I don't see the problem with the stock GM stuff.
Stock flywheel = near 30 lbs vs. this thing at 16. Makes a big difference in acceleration and how the engine revs. Makes shifting and rev matching easier too. I appreciate the offer, but I have a stock LS6 flywheel in my garage already... wanna trade

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
I looked around a bit. Couldn't find a definite answer. Most reviews are showing clutch/ spring failures but no mention of flywheel issues. Maybe contact them directly..

http://f1racingclutchsystem.com/contact.html
Yeah I read over that... most of the critiques I've found are clutch issues, but nothing to do with the flywheel. I've brought it to work today and am going to take it over to Gregory's and have them have a look at it.

Originally Posted by thenameskam
Pretty sure grip force? don't quote me though, I'm just going off the fact that you can buy f1 racing single parts from there that f1 racing doesn't even have on there own site, and they have every brand of f1 posted on there website with grip force products as well.
I think F1 Racing is the main importer and then companies like Speed Solutions and GripForce are their larger distributors.

Originally Posted by JDM74
I hear you on this, there is way too much "I read that they were junk..." threads on every car forum. I've run into the same problem myself on several things. It sounds like you are either going to have to take a gamble or play it safe.
I'm leaning heavily toward using it... will report back after I let Gregory's look it over. Will need it resurfaced and then zero-balanced with my stock LS6 pressure plate.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

1. Chromoly is far more prone to warp when heated.

2. Chromoly is more brittle than billet steel or aluminum.

3. Everything off of eBay is 100% garbage.

4. All you guys are fools for buying expensive stuff when it's made in China anyway and I've had no problems with mine.
1.) Al has a higher heat capacity than steel as well as a higher thermal conductivity. For this, its easier for AL to heat up, but it sheds that heat quicker. I could foresee steel getting to higher temps. Also, since there isn't an AL surface (steel replacement plate IIRC on Fidanza units), the coefficient of expansion is different ----> warping.

2.) True, but Al is weaker than steal. Do not misconstrue brittle for weak. Brittle goes to hard (strength) as ductile goes with malleable (weak). E.G. Al is 'more brittle' than most plastics.

3.) Actually, most the cheap stuff yeah. I bought an ATL fuel cell off ebay. Basically, I bought if from summit racings ebay account, for $100 cheaper than it was listed on summits website.

4.) Support the home team fucker. I just spent a solid hour at work yesterday looking for some made in USA jack stands that we need at work. 99% of the crap out there is made in china. (needed specific height). 'Murika, Fuk'ya. [http://www.usjack.com/ for those who care]
Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Fanboi

So what are you saying? AL flywheel with steel inserts is more prone to warp than a solid piece of billet chromoly?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Conducting heat across the interface between Al and steel is a problem. Operationally this isn't usually a problem except in high slip applications that crank out some serious heat.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Conducting heat across the interface between Al and steel is a problem. Operationally this isn't usually a problem except in high slip applications that crank out some serious heat.
Yurp. the delta-t is L*CE*DT, so technically the expansion would be the difference between the two. Also, since CE is usually to the order of 10^-6, you have to put a lot of heat into it to get it to matter.

Quick Reply: Any of you cheap bastards use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?