Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Any reason my truck would be missing the in-cabin air filters? Do people steal these

Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Any reason my truck would be missing the in-cabin air filters? Do people steal these

Just purchased my 2008 Titan and it had been smoked in a little.... enough that my non-smoking self can smell it. It will go away with time and a good detail. I decided to check the in-cabin air filters and replace them because I figured they'd probably never been swapped out and they probably were a main source of the smell when the heater was on.

Well to my surprise both were gone.... the compartment is empty. My thoughts....

1. Used car dealer yanked them to minimize smoke smell upon taking the truck in trade. Thy had told me it had never been smoked in, but after traveling nearly 9 hours down to GA from VA, and the fact that the truck was 100% perfect for me other than the light smell, I bought it anyway.

2. Do AV installers steal them and re-sell? Aren't they like $100 per? The truck has a very nice AVIC-Z2 nav setup installed so maybe they took them?

3. Other? Any reason someone would remove and not replace?

I'm leaning toward #1
Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 PM
(. )( .) & 8====>

Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin'
Default Re: Any reason my truck would be missing the in-cabin air filters? Do people steal t

blacks did it.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong
Default Re: Any reason my truck would be missing the in-cabin air filters? Do people steal t

I vote...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh

I'd think #1 also.... I do know they will hold the smoke smell for a long while. I had a lexus that would smell like smoke whenever we turned on the heat/AC, untill I changed the filters.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Turns out only certain models of Titans came with them.... mine wasn't one of them. Odd.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Ayo Smokey!

Razmus will become famous soon enoughRazmus will become famous soon enough

Maybe it never had them. Newer Tacomas come with cabin air filter boxes but dont come with one from the factory. Same with certain Scions. Some people buy one, some people never do. Im not a Nissan tech so i cant say for sure that it ever came with one. Used car sales managers are always trying to spend as little money as possible so they can make more in return, meaning they dont want to buy new filters when they can just take the dirty ones out. Did you get it from a Nissan dealership?

BTW awesome truck, I haz one myself.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

That was solved fast. The powers of the internet.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh

That is odd. Nice truck though.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Fanboi

Originally Posted by p-stone
That was solved fast. The powers of the internet.
Yeah I got an oddly quick reply from the Titan board, usually it takes a day to get a reply.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Fanboi

Originally Posted by ~Josh
That is odd. Nice truck though.
TitanTalk.com says....

Originally Posted by HudsonValleyTitan
Not all models have them. Depending on the year, some had them and some didn't. Only the LE and PRO-4X came standard with them for 08. Don't waste your money though unless you find one that's charcoal activated. They do nothing for odors in factory form.

Quick Reply: Any reason my truck would be missing the in-cabin air filters? Do people steal these