Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Always check the simple stuff first!

Old 10-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Always check the simple stuff first!

Seriously...

My '87 Toyota beater turck started to develop a misfire under load a few months back. It would run on 3 cylinders sometimes but I'd just floor it and eventually it'd be ok. Drove it like this for a bit.

Then replaced the fuel filter, no fix... then took the distributor apart and cleaned it out and cleaned the vaccum advance mechanizm... no fix.

Kept driving it w/ the intermittan miss... figured the vaccum adavance was shot because it only messed up under load. Problem was a new vaccum advance was over $100 and that's alot to spend on something you paid $800 for over 2 years ago.

Well... the other day the car started running horrid.... like on 2 cylinders and I limped it home. Wanting to have a beater today I decided to limp it over to Advanced (about 5 min fom me) and see if they could check anything to narrow the issue.... well the car would barely run and I almost got stranded... started running on 1 cylinder, idling horrid and then died... I managed to get it started and limped back home (never made it to advanced).

Pulled the plug wires off the distributor cover and each one had full spark... as I pulled them off the car still idled put horrid... it was running on 1 or 2 cylinders now.... so I pulled the plugs.

2 were completely black and corroded and the other two had no electrode and the insulators were cracked and missing pieces... Damn.

Drove the vette to advanced and spent $7 on new plugs... swapped them and now all is perfect... truck is back to normal.

And here I put up w/ it for months and was about to drop money on a distributor parts.... so always check the simple/cheap shit first.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87
Default Re: Always check the simple stuff first!

duh? lol

did you make a thread with pics
Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by JETSWU87
duh? lol

did you make a thread with pics
<3.

Haha. Yah, I thought my tune was getting messed up because of the colder weather.

Well, see the problem is. I don't have a tune.

Changed my plugs and it runs great now.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

soniccbr has disabled reputation

I had a '85 Toy start running on 3 cyl. I changed everything, including the engine (had a complete parts truck to rob at the time). Ended up being the crimp connector in the wiring harness for #3 injector had corroded and broke connection to the injector. Be persistent.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:41 AM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

Stupid Corvette owners.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:19 AM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

whats really funny is the autolite add here at the bottom of the page "its time to change your plugs"
Old 10-06-2006, 04:22 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by BMC
Stupid Corvette owners.
Exactly.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by BMC
Stupid Corvette owners.

Originally Posted by JETSWU87
whats really funny is the autolite add here at the bottom of the page "its time to change your plugs"
Google adds spiders the content on the pages and chooses to display a relevant add... that's why the adds at the bottom of most forum posts reflect the gist of the post... it's not a coincidence.

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
Exactly.
I'm gonna put pennies in your air intake.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:30 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I'm gonna put pennies in your air intake.
I'll jizz on your new front bumper. My shit will eat straight through your pretty paint