Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Aluminum polishing or Anodizing

Old 12-28-2003, 06:55 PM
common person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
callsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to behold
Default Aluminum polishing or Anodizing

Anyone know who does Aluminum polishing or Anodizing around here for a reasonable rate?

thanks.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:00 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

Polishing for a reasonable rate = elbow grease + a can of Blue Magic Metal Polish
Old 12-28-2003, 08:16 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

werd
Old 12-28-2003, 08:57 PM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

blah, Real Deal Cycles on Aberdeen will hook you up for damn good prices
Old 12-29-2003, 06:44 AM
common person

callsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to behold

I'll give Real Deal a call, thanks!

eng.... after spending over 10 hours so far one one wheel and not being close to being finished....I'm just looking to see who offers the service.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:08 AM
common person

the guy at Real Deal said he didn't do wheels....anyone else know who polishes??
Old 12-29-2003, 08:34 PM
EMF S2K

jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy

First off, if there is any type of paint or clearcoat on the item, strip it with some aircraft stripper available from your local hardware store. Get the surface ass clean and rare material as possible.

Second. Sanding. This will be the hardest and most painstaking part. Start off with a rough grit to get all the rough casting down and smoothed out. For EVERY grit you use, sand untill the scratches put in by the paper is all the same. Move up some grits when you do. I reccomend and electric sander for grits all the way up to 600. When you get to 600 grit, start by hand and sand again till all the scratches are the same. When you get to 800 grit, wetsand using either water or WD40 as your lubricant. Sand till scratches are all the same. For the best shine the aluminium has to be smooth. The smoother it is the more it shines. Go up to 2000 grit and stop.

Next, clean the rim throughly to get off water and wd40 you might have used.

Last but not least, buffing. To get the best shine I reccomend getting a buffing kit like Wenol offers. It comes with wheels and compounds. Start off with a medium buffing wheel and Black Rouge (compound) Hit it up with that multiple times. You should be blingin' already. After that is done, take some White Rouge with a lil softer buffing wheel and hit it up a few times.

If you are doing a rim or anything that contacts with water and what have you clearcoat them. Professional if you can.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:45 AM
common person

i used the aircraft stripper, have been from grits 200 through 2000, I followed all those steps, I'm gonna go buy the Wenol kit and try that out, I got it looking like a semipolished surface right now...

It's definately ALOT of work, but I got time.....thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Corrado Butcher

G60ING is an unknown quantity at this point

sonny should know who can do anodizing