Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Aftermarket tuning costs....

Old 05-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daimo has disabled reputation
Default Aftermarket tuning costs....

Another comparison question really.....

Tuning, another reason its harder over here is the basic costs of things...

i.e, to put a set of throttle bodies on my engine, just a basic set, no upgrades, strengthening etc.... Your looking at £2000 (errr, about $3700 at exchange rate) JUST for the throttle bodies, basic engine management and a initial map......

How much does it cost to do things, i.e, a simple turbo conversion to a Honda? (I really don't understand why more poeple in the UK do this....)

How much does an "aftermarket" cam kit cost, exhaust systems etc...

Wondering if the cost of modifying in the US is cheaper than over here.....

A set of 17" alloys can cost between £500 and £2000 ($900-£3700)
Old 05-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Aftermarket tuning costs....

I'm sure there is a huge range of cost over there, just as there is here. You can get cheap cams, you can get expensive cams.
Individual throttle bodies are expensive no matter where you are. Probably the biggest difference would be the availability of certain brands, etc. There is a giant Honda and Nissan market here so that stuff gets mass produced on a HUGE scale. Most of the worldwide distribution of Honda and Nissan parts either comes from Japan or the US, if that helps any..
For comparison, Impreza parts are more expensive because the demand is a lot lower. The parts aren't necessarily different, there just aren't as many manufacturers. Honda and Nissan stuff is made overseas alot, Taiwan and the like, which helps cost also. When it comes down to it, we're a bigger country with more people, and a alot more people modding their cars probably. We also have a narrower selection of cars that are generally considered worthwhile to tune. The market just isn't there for a lot of models. Whe you think about it, we don't have nearly as many brands of cars here, in the UK you get pretty much everythig we do plus Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Seat, Skoda, Rover, etc. We just have Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, Mitsu, Subaru, and our mixed bag of domestic stuff, plus the occasional tuned Hyundai Tiburon (Hyundai Coupe to you guys)... We finally have one (yay, one!) Lotus here. Too bad we don't get the other 699 different Elise and Exige variants that the UK cranks out yearly.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-12-2006 at 10:29 AM.