Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

After market exhaust illegal in VA?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pickupguy89 has disabled reputation
Default After market exhaust illegal in VA?

Ok so 3 days ago i got pulled over by city center in newport news for my exhaust i just bought my 240sx a week ago lol, and im guessing its a ebay exhaust because no name is on it, and cop pulls me and my buddy over saying my exhaust is to loud, and hes surprised it passed inspection because there illegal in va, says i need a silencer on it,

but now, i get pulled over for my "exhaust" but why is there 3 cops and 4 fed jump out of 2 cop cars and wanting to search my car for drugs, (i dont do drugs neither does my buddy), so they cuff'd my buddy and me to check threw the car, i told em you can search me and my car i dont got anything.

so anyways, is aftermarket exhaust illegal in VA? if so why do they sell them at shops and pass inspection with them?

lmk, ive got pulled over for it and 1 of my friends got pulled over for flowmasters on his s10....
Old 05-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: After market exhaust illegal in VA?

your exhaust has to have no leaks in it to pass inspection, aftermarket aren't illegal, being to loud is. Somewhere in that shop near the mufflers probably says "for offroad use only"
Old 05-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered member

my exhaust doesnt have leaks in it, so why do we keep getting pulled over for it? i understand it says off road only but every civic has louder exhaust then mine lol
Old 05-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

its to loud and loudness is determined by the cop and not by a meter. and if it says for offroad use only its illegal to drive on a street with it unless that street is a race track or somethign
Old 05-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You got profiled. The exhaust was just an excuse.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You got profiled. The exhaust was just an excuse.
i know thats what it was, 10 cops wouldnt roll out of cop cars and go right to looking at the floor and have the 1 cop distract me while hes taking my buddy out, and keep distracting me while there searching my car, but i kept watching them.

funny thing is tho, 1 of the feds asked my buddy what kinda wintergreen he chews lol, and the one that was talking to me asked if i used to have a wing on my car (since there were plugs on the trunk) i was like uhh yeah what do you care? lol

where can i pick up a silencer from for the muffler? so its not so loud
Old 05-07-2011, 09:17 AM
keyboard warrior

Hardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud ofHardline has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pickupguy89
i know thats what it was, 10 cops wouldnt roll out of cop cars and go right to looking at the floor and have the 1 cop distract me while hes taking my buddy out, and keep distracting me while there searching my car, but i kept watching them.

funny thing is tho, 1 of the feds asked my buddy what kinda wintergreen he chews lol, and the one that was talking to me asked if i used to have a wing on my car (since there were plugs on the trunk) i was like uhh yeah what do you care? lol

trolled
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Hardline
trolled
true
Old 05-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Punch the dot

Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle! Kyle!

Code reads anything that does not "appear" stock is illegal. Being to loud is a violation of the noise ordinance.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pickupguy89

how cheap did you get your 240 and was the seller in a HURRY to sell it? sounds like maybe "somebody" has been watching that car for awhile

Quick Reply: After market exhaust illegal in VA?